Reciprocating saw - odd application.

Had to replace 2 x 40 x 40cm fence posts today. First one came out OK after the usual application of brute force & ignorance.

Second one was a pig. Tried everything, dug down 2' and it still wouldn't come out. The only option left was to cut the bugger down as low as possible. I could still bury the new post 22" below ground level, so out came the Titan el cheapo reciprocating saw.

Drilled a hole centrally in the post stub & started to cut. Got through from one side & low & behold, the stub started to move about in the hole. The vibration from the recip saw had loosened it sufficiently for me to simply pull the stub out vertically.

Now thinking of making up an adaptor to utilise just the back & forth action.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The fence posts were 16 inches square? That's big! I've always managed to get posts out by nailing and clamping a piece of timber vertically on the post with a small gap underneath. Then lever up using a crowbar resting on a block of wood on the ground.

Reply to
Matty F

For some really tough concrete posts, I resorted to a rope hitch low around the post and a loop up to the lifting tongue of a farm jack (jackall type) - worked elegantly - but of course I only resorted to a "brains" solution, after pushing what my back could take a bit too far.

Reply to
dom

A soil sieve?

mark

An SDS used on hammer only with a blunt chisel etc would be easier?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Got me scratching my head, too. OP mentions depth of hole in ft, but post measurements in cm, so I'm not sure!

I was thinking along similar lines, albeit assuming that the post was toast anyway, so drilling a big hole in it and using a bit of scaffold for leverage.

Alternately, explosives would be fun ;)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

That would only push though, not push then pull.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Whoops! Meant 4" x 4". Must take more water with it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Do it from one side then t'other?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not really possible with fence post stubs.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman