Suitable modelling cement or similar.

Hi all. Maybe not strictly DIY but you've been helpful in here before.

I have a few pieces of coloured glass in approx 1" chunks and also some attractive pebbles collected from a beach by my children when they were very young.

For sentimental reasons I would like to set them into some kind of putty or cement in order to make a couple of paperweights. Maybe simply pushing them into a lump of some fixant. I'm visualising summat like Superman's glass home on Krypton but about the size of a tennis ball :-)

Grateful for any advice on what cement I could set them into and maybe a link to a vendor?

Reply to
blackbat

Car body filler?

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

Hmmm maybe - although I feel whatever I use will need excellent adhesive qualities to stick to the glass.

Reply to
blackbat

Would clear embedding resin be suitable?

Reply to
PJ

This has to be the best newsgroup ever... :-)

Reply to
Jules

Find a local(ish) large craft store, Buy a 1kg size box of crystal clear resin casting mix and a suitable mould Read up on how to achieve a "No bubble" finish and cast the lot inside a nice shaped ornament/paperweight.

Not ideal - I want them sticking out like a porcupine on acid ( !).

Reply to
blackbat

aww shucks

Reply to
blackbat

Thanks. Did consider that option - I used to use it as a kid. Trouble is it's not the effect I was after. I think it would be too large and wouldn't show off the glass at its best.

Do you think car filler would be adhesive enough?

Reply to
blackbat

CAR BODY FILLER!!!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IT HAS!!!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It'll certainly stick. Whether the colour/texture is what the OP wants is another matter. With casting resin you can add whatever aggregate you like. Interesting possibilities

Reply to
Stuart Noble

8>
Reply to
Lino expert

Can't remember what it was called. Had a small ceramic mould that had 5 smaller indents to make keyrings of differing shapes. It *did* stink though.

Reply to
blackbat

OK, OK - I hear you! Thanks. Sounds ideal. The glass will hide the filler so it doesn't have to look attractive.

Reply to
blackbat

Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

that's the one! showing my age now...

Reply to
blackbat

them a call and ask for their advice.

HTH

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Good site - thanks.

Reply to
blackbat

Some good ideas were posted, but I am surprised that no-one mentioned Milliput epoxy putty, which should be the ideal material.

can buy it in a selection of colours from Amazon UK:

Bruce