Recessed downlighters in en-suite

Hi I am about to totally re-fit our en-suite, new shower enclosure, tray, basin, toilet, tiles etc. We would like to change the single light to 4 or

5 recessed downlights. I have heard quite allot recently about "Part P", do I need an electrician to fit these to comply with Part P?

Thanks

Reply to
diy-newby

No, you could DIY them on a building notice.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks

"building notice" - what do you mean by that?

Reply to
diy-newby

"diy-newby" wrote

Certain domestic electrical work is now under the umbrella of the Building Control Department at your local council. They should inspect first fix and then test the completed installation. They may not have provision to do the latter and put pressure on you to do it instead with them in attendance! If you intend to do this job "properly" as a DIY excercise i. e. correctly tested with all relevant paperwork, then recommend you google "Part P" and also look into costs with your local council building control.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Part P makes some electrical work "controlled activities" - this means that they come under the supervision of your local authorities building control department.

There are a couple of common ways of involving building control departments and their officers in work you are doing, one is by submitting a "building notice" to them, another is with a "full plans submission". In either case you also pay the appropriate fee, usually based on the commercial value of the work being done.

So the official route for carrying out any electrical work that is now "controlled" (such as work in bathrooms) is to submit a building notice to you LA before you start work. They then inspect work as it goes along and test if they want, before issuing a completion certificate at the end.

Needless to say it rarely works out that simply!

More details of how it ought to work here:

John Rumm

This page:

that "Installation of extra low voltage lighting (not CE market sets)" requires notification under part P, but I assume (I know a dangerous word) that if they are CE marked it doesn't require notification?

Reply to
Cod Roe

If they are not CE marked, they should not be on the market in the first place.

Reply to
Andy Hall

They could be CE marked, but sold as separate components. It's only complete sets that are exempted.

Owain

Reply to
Owain