Replacing En Suite Fan - Isolation

Hi all

Quick q on the need for isolation. As a direct replacement for a broken extractor fan, I don't believe part P is involved, even though this is a "special location" - ??? However, the current install does not include an isolation switch for maintenance. The location of the fan would make it difficult to include this switch, other than in a very inaccessible loft space above. Is there a requirement to add an isolator when replacing a fan in an existing installation?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Not that I am aware of, though I stand to be corrected!

Such fans are normally run off a lighting circuit, and come on with the light. They usually have a delay timer which keeps them running for a few minutes after the light is switched off. This requires that they have a permanent live connection in addition to the switched live from the light switch. You should be able to isolate it by turning off the appropriate lighting circuit.

Reply to
Roger Mills

This is also as I understand it.

You can get ceiling mounted three pole pull switches designed for this circumstance.

Not a regulatory one, but you may want one for other reasons.

Yet another example of part P being counter productive with respect to safety.

Reply to
John Rumm

IMHO yes, as you should carry out the replacement to current standards. Part P may not require notification, but it stillr equires work to ve carried out to standards.

You can use a remote isolator provided it is of the sort that can be locked off. The better fan isolators come with a padlock adaptor for this purpose.

The fuse/mcb is not acceptable for isolation as it does not isolate the neutral.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:38:36 -0000 someone who may be "TheScullster" wrote this:-

Why?

As long as it is out of reach of a person using a bath or shower (to be precise in the right zones) it can be placed in the room. Just below the ceiling is a good place for such isolators, with the cable run above the ceiling.

Reply to
David Hansen

An isolator does not have to break the neutral except in a TT-earthed installation, and in the particular case of the main switch for a single-phase household installation [see OSG 5.1(i), p34].

In any case I think the primary purpose of a 'fan isolator' is to provide a means of 'switching off for mechanical maintenance' (cleaning). Although fitting them is undoubtedly convenient and good practice, I'm not sure that there's anything in BS 7671 that makes bathroom fan isolators absolutely mandatory (provided that the MCB is readily accessible in order to comply with 131-14-02) - it's a moot point though, maybe.

What happened to the sabbatical?

Reply to
Andy Wade

There is also the practical point that in the case of a light switch operated fan with run on, it gives you a manual override in the cases where you want to have as soak in the bath without all the noise.

Didn't think it would last... we must be addictive!

Reply to
John Rumm

Googlegroups

Owain