Re: That was a close one!

"Mary Fisher" verbally sodomised in

> news:45559822$0$29545$ snipped-for-privacy@master.news.zetnet.net: > > > > > "quietguy" wrote > > in message > > news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVE-TO-REPLYconfidential-counselling.com... > >> Hi There > >> > >> Just curious, as I have never heard of roundabouts having traffic > >> lights! why both? > >> > >> David > > > > Because some roundabouts are very busy, especially at peak traffic > > times. It can be very difficult to get on the roundabout from some > > roads.

Is Mary Fisher reely a fishmonger? Well I never! That would be like Frank Butcher being a butcher on Eastenders but he wasn't or maybe like Neil Barker being barking mad and a liar to boot which HE IS.

Reply to
Theobold Watcher

I will have half of that please cos I sent that in a e-mail to you one day but Neil Barker read it first and pinched my idea.

Reply to
Theobold Watcher

I never heard of Sunny Slough before in fact the only slough I ever heard of was in a medical book wot I was reading and it mentioned boils and carbuncles and sloughing of tissue. (Don't worry abot the mess, people, Craig Oldfield and Fatty Barker will eat it all up.)

Reply to
Theobold Watcher

"signalize, -ise v.t. make noteworthy or remarkable, lend distinction or lustre to..." OED Concise version.

-- snipped-for-privacy@xjackfieldx.org (remove the x..x round jackfield for return address) and don't bother with ralf4, it's a spamtrap and I never go there.. :)

... There's pleasure sure in being mad That none but madmen know... Dryden

Reply to
Jeff York

"Theobold Watcher" typed

Ooooh look! Someone who was never sad enough to read a Mars Bar wrapper...

...or John Betjeman.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Mary Fisher" typed

Verbing weirds language, innit?

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Hmm. I don't think that's what Guy meant :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Indeed. He meant signalled, but wrote signalised by mistake - ie he used a completely different - and in this context, wrong - word.

Reply to
Mike Henry

'signalised' may not be the right word, but 'signalled' doesn't mean 'to have signals added' in any dictionary I have access to...

Reply to
PC Paul

But since we all (well certainly me) knew what he meant, perhaps it wasn't the wrong word - lots of words have dual meanings - eg lead

David - who likes pe>

Reply to
quietguy

"PC Paul" wrote in news:Isq6h.541$k74.264 @text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

pedant alert...

Reply to
Tunku

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Hall saying something like:

That old favourite - "burglarized".

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I have this strange sense of deja-vu...

Reply to
David Taylor

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember David Taylor saying something like:

Was it mentioned already? Missing post.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon