Re: Power Showers and Water Meters

Andy Hall wrote( a long time ago):

However, referring to the SI makes it all much clearer > >
>Here, "shall" is used rather than "should". > >****** >Notification > 5. - (1) Subject to paragraph (2), any person who proposes to >instal a water fitting in connection with any of the operations listed >in the Table below- >(a) shall give notice to the water undertaker that he proposes to >begin work; >(b) shall not begin that work without the consent of that undertaker >which shall not be withheld unreasonably; and >(c) shall comply with any conditions to which the undertaker's consent >is subject. > >***** >Part of table:- >****** >4. The installation of- >(a) a bath having a capacity, as measured to the centre line of >overflow, of more than 230 litres;
[snip]
(d) a pump or booster drawing more than 12 litres per minute, >connected directly or indirectly to a supply pipe;
[snip]
(h) a garden watering system unless designed to be operated by hand; [snip] >All of which, I interpret to mean that if you want to install >something that might use a lot of water, you have to tell the water >supplier so that they can come and fit you with a meter and charge you >lots of money. >

As I am contemplating buying a very big bath, I contacted my water supplier, Severn Trent, and they told me that they regarded it as a Building Control issue, and they are only interested in metering if I build a swimming pool, or install a fixed garden watering system.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon