Re: [OT] Car insurance craziness

Page 6 of 7
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:06:42 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@ukc.ac.uk (dmc) wrote:

There's only one using ProNews, and that's me!
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
Bob Eager wrote:

I must be unique as well.
--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk /

:-) Oh yes, very good. I like that one. Is it freeware?
Hwyl!
M.
--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html
Paul wrote:

What do you think this is uk.d-i-y
snipped-for-privacy@ukc.ac.uk (dmc) wrote:

strn doesn't seem to put any identifying headers on the post :-( I'm afraid that if I were enumerating now I'd still miss it...
Hwyl!
M.
--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html

That's a bit like saying the majority of people in the world are starving. Just because something is common doesn't make it best or the standard to aim for.
--
*i souport publik edekashun.

Dave Plowman wrote:

Given the obesity in the western world starving would be a good idea for some

Steve R
--
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.
Dave Plowman wrote:

I am not a government employee, just an unemployment statistic

--
Steve R

Essjay001 wrote:

Ah! a fellow Govt. artist.
We do have something in common then, even if it's not posting style :-)
It's taken nearly 6 months but I've finally got a job and start 18 Aug. I hope you get something sorted out soon. Having been through the mill with the Job Centre I wouldn't wish it on anyone - not even top posters (/me ducks and runs).
parish wrote:

Getting a job isn't the problem keeping it seems to be my stumbling block. I simply will not let spotty kids F**k me over with their incompetance. I really should keep my mouth shut, but with so many wankers in the top slots it's very difficult.

I don't mind going through the mill if I get a result, but they know and I know that being a single guy 50+ with a small RAF pension I don't qualify for anything but stamp.(What have I been paying for all these years)
Good luck with your new job
Steve R
--
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.
Dave Plowman wrote:

Did I top post to your last post? NO!

--
Steve R

I don't object to top posting in e-mails - after all it's not unreasonable to expect the person reading it to remember what the subject was all about, so the copy is only there for reference if needed. This isn't the case with news, though, unless you only read a tiny amount.
--
*OK, so what's the speed of dark? *

Andrew McKay wrote:

Some of us cant even qualify for JSA at all Steve R
--
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:59:39 +0000 (UTC), "Essjay001"
I qualified last year, despite remaining a director of my own Ltd. The fact was that the company had no income and no reserves, so couldn't pay salary. Once the necessary checks had been made that we weren't trying it on the Job Centre had no problem paying contributions-based JSA - it is an entitlement for all, providing that you have a healthy record of paying NI. C-based JSA is limited to a maximum of 26 weeks, after that you get diddly squat unless you qualify for income-based JSA (and magically after 26 weeks when you lose C-based you mysteriously become "employed" again as far as Gordon Brown is concerned - go figure!).
It's the I-based JSA that is nasty. Once you fall into that trap you are into fantasy land where the Job Centre can tell you which job you are going to apply for and you can't say "it doesn't pay enough!". Basically if the local dairy need someone to clean the cow dung out of the sheds, you are an instant candidate.
Have you noticed that B&Q seem to have lots of helpful staff in the sheds recently? They don't appear to be the geriatrics of a couple of years ago.
Andrew

Stuff that, I demand to know why he's wasting oxygen that could be more usefully employed keeping a whelk alive.
--
A nasty looking dwarf throws a knife at you.

A nasty looking dwarf throws a knife at you...

It's not big and it's not clever

Most people think cash terms and forget inflation. Car tax has remained fairly constant as a percentage of average income as has fuel tax, although there will be odd blips both up and down.
About 40 years ago, car tax was 15 quid a year. But a reasonable weekly wage was 10 pounds - 20 was good.
--
*Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.*

Dave Plowman wrote:

But we're talking about insurance. As I said in another post, at 16 my moped cost 6.10 to insure fully comp and I was an apprentice bringing home just over a tenner a week. Can a 16-year-old insure a moped for fully comp for ~60% of their take home pay these days? I think not (unless there are some 16-year-olds on ~1000 a week).

Err, then I'll blame them. They are so desperate for business, they insure poor risks - like large companies where the drivers don't care if they damage their vehicles or others - then expect the private motorist to bail them out. They could alleviate this by having larger no claims bonuses to encourage the careful.
I was with the same company for about 40 years - although it had merged with others in that time - with never a claim. Then one year they decided to more than double my premium with no change in my circumstances. So I changed companies after doing a search. I wrote to the old one telling them of my decision and why, but got no reply. And the next year the new company decided to increase my premium by much more than inflation, so I changed again, and will do so if this happens with this one.
--
*If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends? *

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 18:58:05 +0100, "Capitol"

That's odd, because I do, the economy is constructed such that deflation would be very, very bad, so you need to pick a rate which is not too low, as the EU people have done.

Yes, because they need to get it up.
Jim.