Re: Huf Haus on last night's Grand Designs

Page 6 of 12
writes

Which doesn't actually produce anything. Cleaners and caterers don't generate wealth, they just move it around.
--
geoff

Maxie, you will have to find out what the service industry consists of. Fixing boards is one of them. Now that is a starter for you.
writes

As I said -they don't generate wealth, they just move it around
--
geoff

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 09:29:23 +0000, Andrew

Provide statistics for Tony B to glow like a beacon of excellence when he finally makes it to be president of Europe.
Just a guess.
MM
Andrew wrote:

Design them. UK deign is very very good. Irts manufactur8ng we cannot compete with - becasue the wurkahs feel they deserve more salary than a bowl of rice a day, and resent beimng wurkahs. In Taiwan, they are glad of the job.
Andy Hall wrote:
Again, a cultural

Old Jewsish joke
"Come in meet my family, this is my eldest sone Elias, He is such a boy. He is a concert pianist and travels all over the world..And this is mty second son, Noah. What a boy. He is a brain surgeon., I am the prodest momma in Golder Green..and this is my third son. What can I say - Thomas, he is a tailor. But he feeds the whole family!"
it should be evident to all but the >

Not sure that's common. Even the poorest of schools are proud when they get students into Oxbridge. I got called into the headmaster's office to explain the 'mistake' on my university application form as I seemed to be applying for electronic engineering degrees rather than doing something proper like physics at Cambridge or Bristol.

Some are. some aren't ... I have first hand knowledge, though, of teachers who have advised pupils not to even think about applying to Oxbridge because of the perceived "elitism" of those institutions.
Julian
--
Julian Fowler
wrote in message >

get
"perceived"? It is real. Elitism is not the word, more pretentiousness. If you are not one of them they will phase you out. Better go to a proper uni that is not obsessed with teaching Ancient Greek.
Fowler wrote:

At my school the standard advice to anyone of uncertain academic prowess was to apply for engineering at Jarrow or somesuch place as you were guaranteed a place on 2 E's. All the school was interested in was the proportion of pupils who got places at university: if you dropped out after one term that was your problem not theirs. Fortunately most of us who were given such advice ignored it.
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
"G&M" wrote | Not sure that's common. Even the poorest of schools are proud when | they get students into Oxbridge.
The schools might be; the parents may rather their children got a job in Kwik Save and a council house and were no longer dependent on them financially.
The Scottish news the other night had a report from a comprehensive school in Glasgow, where the pupils who normally would have considered applying for Oxbridge are all applying to Scottish universities instead, because of the costs of studying in England.
Owain

hook a

Starting with the two snotty ones.

Oh another one!
In Germany they do not have BCOs, the builder is educated and qualified and certified. he self certifies the build. It works. In this country, we have an attitude that all workers are cowboys and have a layer to check their work.
It like the idea of CORGI in principle, but not the way it is run. Any inexperienced man can easily get a CORGI ticket. It needs to be tightened up.
Each trade should have a similar system, where education and experience matter. Then we will stop the shoddiness of the average British worker.
This has nothing to do with universities, of which only about 10% of the people in this country have a degree. The countries that shine have a high level of higher education, and lots of it. The UK suffers in ignoring the so called lower skills. This has to be addressed.

and
How does that work with DIY projects? Do the Germans have to get a qualified builder in to certify the work?
Colin
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:54:03 -0000, "Colin"

In my experience, no. But I left Germany in 1982, so it may be different now. However, I have relatives in Hamburg and visit there at least once a year. DIY seems to be quite a big thing there, too, but perhaps not quite so much as in the UK. Certainly I bought a lot of the tools there which I still use today. I would have more confidence, though, in having a good job done from any tradesman in Germany, as there is still the work ethic there where people simply take pride in doing a good job. Here I think the cowboys are dragging everyone else down to their level, as job costings are squeezed and otherwise conscientious workers are forced to scamp in order to get the job.
MM
Colin wrote:

In germany, you don't do DIY much. Certainly no th electrcal or plumbing kind. Why should you? You can get a hghly skilled man in who can do it in one quarer the time you could to a proper standrad, for not very much. And you have adequate income as an intelligent professional, to pay him to do it.
Not that I like Germany much as a place to live.

Did the show the first series of "Auf Wiedersehen, Pet" in Germany?

Unfortunately not AFAIK
(they did have" 'allo 'allo" on satellite though which they all thought was great ... not quite the same though)
--
geoff

Mitchell wrote:

That requires (a) a freeing up of the planning system - greater supply = greater choice; and (b) more discerning customers. It seems to be generally accepted that houses sell on the appearance of the kitchen and bathroom: almost no one cares about issues of real quality.
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser

That's because the British, being so isolated (psychologically as well as geographically), simply are unaware of the kind of quality which is taken for granted in much of Europe and beyond.
MM
Mike Mitchell wrote:

Conversely, muy sister purchased some 'cheap units' in germany when we deicded to revamp my ageing mothers kitchen in 200. They are shabbier than the worts B & Q trash, the plumbing fitments were non standard to UK plumbing, and the worktops of inferior quality.
You CAN get good prices on decent stuff in teh UK, just not at the sheds mostly.
you CAN get utter crap in Germany and France, that is if anything worse than the UK.
My house, about twice the size of the Huf Haus, built by cowboys and some decent carpenters in a very inneficient manner, still cost about the same. It took nearly two years to do it, which is a disgrace and a total reflection on the so called builder who started it, and my own desire to finish it myself,prpoperly, slowly and carefully, after I fired him.
its not so trendy, its very traditional, but its worth somewhere between 700k and a million.
I would not expect to sell that huf haus for more than 600k on that plot. It probably does NOT represent value for money in resale terms, tho the couple in it are obviously pleased with it, and it went up fast.
Time and time agian I have looked at getting structures prefabricated elsewhere and installing them. In most cases it simply does not offer any savings except in overall project timescales, agains two skilled blokes chipping away and nailing.
The cost of the factory, saws, and the requirements to keep it loaded raise the price of pre-fabbing to equal the two fully occupied self employed blokes. I tried it with an ok prefab timber frame. Same price or slightly more. I tried it with an oak styaricase. Same price, or slightly more. Only winows and doors made sense. and the last time they made the doors as well. Costing it out including fitting, against the pre-fabbed ones - no ruddy difference again.