Re: Huf Haus on last night's Grand Designs

... which probably says a lot about your English teacher :-(

"My wife and I went to viist our friends" (subject of sentence) "Our friends came to visit my wife and me" (object of sentence)

I guess, though, that its many years since such basics of grammar were actually taught in schools ...

Reply to
Julian Fowler

In article , Michael McNeil writes

Apart from the energy costs of its manufacture. The reflective glass in particular uses more energy in its manufacture than it saves in the lifetime of a building.

J.

Reply to
John Rouse

"Mike Mitchell" wrote | >Where I worked in Germany (Wildblad im Schwarzwald) the hours were as | >we worked in the UK, and every afternoon at 3-00pm a trolley came | >round loaded with a selection of beers (up to one litre!). | I believe you about the beer, because I, too, was seconded to work in | a Stuttgart radiator factory once, and the canteen also served beer, | in jugs.

It's just not the same as a pint of tea and a wagon wheel, is it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Mike Mitchell" | Baloney. We are a dead loss, and if we only recognised it, we would be | able to start taking steps to improve. We have crap railways, low | quality, NHS waiting lists, unfair pensions, poor education, dwindling | research, jerry-built housing because we cannot ever make planning | decisions for the long-term and stick to them. We are a nation of | dreamers who have their place in the world, but in terms of | organisation, efficiency, and planning, we have totally lost the plot.

Well, in sharp contrast to the Huf House, this week's (Wed 4 Feb 9pm Channel

4) Grand Designs revisits:

a house with a wing-shaped roof that went dreadfully wrong. Kevin McCloud couldn't resist returning to the scene of the accident. Viewers may be appalled and delighted (or wholly unsurprised) to find that life with Tom Perry and his wife Judy has not changed much. The insurance company wants nothing more to do with him. His glass won't fit. He breaks more bones in his body and the house remains resolutely unfinished. Apparently, this is the last we shall see of Tom and his building. Pity, it could have run for years. (David Chater, The Times.)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Andy Hall" wrote | Apart from Spayne and Eyebyeza one might think that the channel | tunnel was the entrance to Hades.

Don't be silly, everyone knows the channel tunnel goes to Tesco Vin, Carrefour and the British Overseas College of Car-Washing at Sangatte. If you want to go to Spayne and Eyebyeza you get a plane from Lunnun Lu'on.

See if you watched TV Holiday Shop you would know such things.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You have a third option, the Carbon Index method, which will potentially allow you any amount of glass and gives you credit for high efficiency boilers, solar gains etc.

High spec dg units would have a U-value of around 2.0, much the same as 9" brick walls found on virtually all pre-war houses. So given the insulation in the floors, roof and opaque wall areas the heating will be significantly less than a similarly sized Victorian pile

Reply to
Tony Bryer

  1. Reducing the dropout rate as the financial commitment is probably going to encourage students to (a) not apply for courses they are not really interested in; and (b) stick with it once they are there.
  2. Force more students into PT employment which may give them a bit of real-world experience. When I was a PT mature student doing Business studies it was scary how little general knowledge and knowledge of how the business world works many of the 18-20 year olds had.
Reply to
Tony Bryer

I've got several on my customer list. But a neglible number compared with the MRICS, MIStructE, MICE and other people

Reply to
Tony Bryer

One I'd like to see again was from a couple of seasons ago. A faux-Georgian pile. She was the impossible client and got through architects and builders like there was no tomorrow. He went off and made money and built a purple ... sort of cone shaped fire that I can't remember the name of ... in the livingroom as his contribution. Can it really have been as awful as I remember?

Anna

-- ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plasterwork, plaster conservation / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling and pargeting |____|

07976 649862

Reply to
Anna Kettle

In message , Mike Mitchell writes

Look in?

Who can see past the forest of pot plants which completely dominate dutch windowsills?

Reply to
geoff

Because Usenet is not "English as a foreign language", nor is it a medium of record, nor is it a place for pedantic fuckheads to wave their willies about.

Reply to
Huge

Spot on.

Reply to
Huge

That's what the Pope has. Except it's a pint of Creme de Menthe.

According to Billy Connolly.

DG

Reply to
derek

snipped-for-privacy@kettlenet.co.uk (Anna Kettle) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.clara.net:

Wonderful, wasn't it? I too would love to know what the end result was...

And, yes, it was at least as awful as your memory.

Rod

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

Are you sure you are not mixing up two different lots there?

The Georgian one I remember with the wife with rather exacting standards (Helen IIRC). She was the one that fired the architect and managed the project herself. Including gems like re-ordering and replacing all the windows because the glazing bars were too thick for the period, and wanting special glass with a non flat finish so as to give better reflective qualities.

The one with the purple oven was the couple who built a new England style prefabricated building with large open galleried stairs etc making the main living room almost the full height of the property. Built on the site of a bungalow they bought and tore down.

Reply to
John Rumm

Those are just self interest groups and something I don't take seriously.

Reply to
IMM

In message , IMM writes

Don't you mean "typed" rather than "read"

Yo do have problems with the English language don't you

Reply to
geoff

In message , IMM writes

We have you

Reply to
geoff

In message , IMM writes

Which doesn't actually produce anything. Cleaners and caterers don't generate wealth, they just move it around.

Reply to
geoff

I could be wrong about the Georgian style of the house I'm thinking of. I remember the glazing bars house too but that was a later programme, not the one I'm thinking of.

I agreed with her about the glazing bars on the windows, though she should have sorted out what she wanted earlier in the build. If a house is intended to be of a period then the fenestration has to be right or it won't ever look right. She did only get a sample window replaced, not the whole lot so I think you're maligning her a bit.