Re: Huf Haus on last night's Grand Designs

You may be right, however an OU degree is very well recognised in industry because it demonstrates a real commitment to get thru a significant amount of material in ones own time etc. And without all the camel shagging and popsicol drinking that takes place at a red brick.

PoP

PoP

Actually, though it was a secondary modern, I think the English teacher most probably did teach those examples which you quote. But I was already a techie by this time in my educational calendar and English was boring, boring, boring. So I didn't take a whole lot of notice.

I think I got CSE grade 2 for English - it certainly wasn't O level or CSE grade 1.

PoP

PoP

I am NOT waving my willy about. I always keep a firm hand on it.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Natuurlijk!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Yeah, that one across the Mersey is enough of a challenge for most.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Not if you've already been there and found that it ain't as bad as people think.

(Sorry, that was the "Huge" use of "you've" there.)

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

That's a bit of an admission........ ;-) .andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

It is when using the nominative. Thus: "My wife and I went to the station to see the engines shunt." But note: "A lump of coal flew out of the boiler and hit my wife and me in the face."

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Well, I left school at fifteen. However, it was in 1961. That is the difference. I was taught clause analysis by a semi-drunk Irish legend until my ears almost bled - which would have hardly been surprising given the frequency of his little loveable cuffs about the head.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

You'll go blind, you know.

Reply to
Huge

Must make driving and so on a bit difficult.

PoP

PoP

Ah, those were the days. Back in the 60's we had teachers who threw board rubbers across the classroom at anyone not paying attention, and those were serious blocks of wood! It was also the done thing to have a plimsol whacked across your backside in front of the class if you did something wrong.

My parents told me often enough that if I did wrong they'd march me in front of the headmaster to make sure I got due punishment. Worked for me.

Obviously in this day and age teachers aren't allowed to even breathe heavy on a student. I sometimes wonder whether this change of situation might have a relationship with increased crime levels, but I expect there must be another explanation.

PoP

PoP

As in ...

*3NeQUEoWJhBaFLTJkUnDYZsCo rdedwPhrHko2TwoJlHEhvzxne6qmsaY8!D*Z7qw2SdhdU84R2e62JaVlcn4*a3TBM/dmail.j pg?dc=4675457838512005864

or

geoff

I never did like Gerry and the pacemakers

Reply to
geoff

In message , Mike Mitchell writes

I think if you live in Germany long enough, you find that, under the veneer, they're just as crap as us. (5 years living in Germany)

Reply to
geoff

In message , Neil Jones writes

Unfortunately not AFAIK

(they did have" 'allo 'allo" on satellite though which they all thought was great ... not quite the same though)

Reply to
geoff

In message , derek writes

You were lucky !

We used to have to go downstairs to the lobby where they had 3 massive beer vending machines.

Friday - return from lunch ...

"Geoff, it's almost the weekend, go and get the beer in"

... unless, of course, it was someone's birthday / child's christening / engagement / joining / leaving / any other excuse, in which case, it was obligatory to have a barrel of beer and some food.

And this was on a site doing defence work

Reply to
geoff

In message , Mike Mitchell writes

In one company which I worked in, there was a general walk out because there was a rumour that there was going to be a discussion about stopping production workers drinking at their place of work. By this I mean while operating presses, milling machine and lathes.

Bier ist wie brot

Reply to
geoff

Is that still going? They have rail and road tunnels now.

Reply to
IMM

You are a saddo, that is why you always walk alone.

Reply to
IMM