Re: Huf Haus on last night's Grand Designs

Page 1 of 12
Mike Mitchell wrote:

I was impressed too but I guess if you're spending nearly 1/2 a million pounds on a prefab, it darned well ought to be impressive!
The Huf website seems to be down ( www.huf-haus.de/en/ ) but for anyone who didn't see it, you can see some Huf houses at http://www.findaproperty.com/cgi-bin/story.pl?storyid482
Tim
--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.
Please support rheumatoid arthritis research!
Mitchell wrote:

But if the programme had been realistic they would signed the contract for the new house and then the day before the demolition crew moved in their existing house would have been listed <g>.
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
Mike

The good thing about Huf is that the price is fixed, so you pretty well know where you stand financially. Huf make house a lot cheaper than 450,000. You can lay the slab yourself, omit the plumbing and wiring and others bits and do them yourself saving a ton of money.

Hey, that IS interesting! I wonder how cheaply a Huf Haus could be built for. I was not particularly enamoured with the overall 'look' of the house, but more with the utmost attention to detail and quality. I would be satisfied if a number of British builders had been watching and would come away from the programme with a burning urge to do better with their own products. I believe we tolerate far too much skimping and cheap and tatty workmanship than is either fair to us or good for posterity and the repuation of the country.
MM
Mike

SEE: http://www.futureenergies.com/article.php?sidu

What reputation since we gave the empire away and resolved to wipe our own arses we have never been right. My question is how long must we put up with your lazy posting? Running through all that trash to get to the next button is a pita.
(Bear that in mind next time you start throwing things.)

Yes, no blacks to do it eh.
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 09:46:20 +0000 (UTC), "Michael Mcneil"

Eh?!!
MM
"IMM" wrote | "Mike Mitchell" wrote | > But those brand new Huf vans! I'm pretty sure they were purchased by | > Huf especially for the show - and why not? | No they were not. That us how Huf do it.
And the builders cleaned them afterwards!!
| John Prescott is attempting to force the UK construction industry into a | similar type of design and efficiency.
A fitted kitchen in a day (even though it was presumably pre-designed and pre-fab'd) - British builders couldn't do a fitted kitchen in a day with Lego bricks. One of the square bricks would fall down the back of the sofa and they'd have to take three hours off to go to the toyshop for a new one.
| He will need to use that left | hook a lot to even get the cowboys to look.
He'll probably make it illegal to own a trowel unless you're a member of a trade association, to which all the big speculative developers and Moben/Dolphin will belong, and that will immediately raise standards in the industry.
Owain

In Germany they do not BCOs. The builder is educated and qualified and registered and he passes the house. Self certification.
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:55:05 -0000, "Owain"

I don't see anything wrong in insisting that tradesmen, craftsmen are recognised as having undergone training to a certain degree of proficiency. The Trading Standards people recently discovered the huge anmount of scams being perpetrated on the British public by a very large number of cowboys. If it so easy in Britain to pass oneself off as a so-called professional, then obviously there will be those who see a quick way of making a few quid. The whole industry does need to be regulated far more than it is - or do we simply allow the cowboys to get away with it ad nauseaum? I would say that the chances in the Greater London area of finding an honest workman is practically nil. I would also say that the further away from London one lives, the higher the level of personal trust one could place in most local craftsmen.
MM

500 grand for a greenhouse? Not for me thanks...! David

You don't have to have all the glass. Insulated wall panels can be fitted.

Which is after all, all that a Tudor Timber frame was.
Glass does allow the price to drop considerably as it is cheaper than bricks and mortar. Modern glass manufacture and today's tech in other areas have put the old worries about glass well away.
The builders were far better organised than the TV crew too so, howzat for incompetence? I liked the attention to detail at the end. Washing their vans. To be clean makes the journey home so much nicer.

The in-fill insulted walls panels are most likely cheaper than glass, also vastly increasing the U values. There is no bricks and mortar used.
Michael McNeil wrote:

However, and all galss house can not mmeet building regs iuseing the overall heatloss methiond. Only by using the elemental nehod, i.e. a methind designed for a few windows, can it meet specs.
In short, the huf haus was hgely energy inneficient, and will have a huge heating bill. I would estimate 4000-6000 quid a year

You have a third option, the Carbon Index method, which will potentially allow you any amount of glass and gives you credit for high efficiency boilers, solar gains etc.

High spec dg units would have a U-value of around 2.0, much the same as 9" brick walls found on virtually all pre-war houses. So given the insulation in the floors, roof and opaque wall areas the heating will be significantly less than a similarly sized Victorian pile
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
Tony Bryer wrote:

Building regs for walls and rooves are about 0.3 from memory. So thats only 6.6 toimes worse.
So

They don't pass regs eiher, and cost about te same to heat properly.

Apart from the energy costs of its manufacture. The reflective glass in particular uses more energy in its manufacture than it saves in the lifetime of a building.
J.
--
John Rouse

John Rouse wrote:

Yeah. I reckon we need a hutton report on double glazing, where it clearly shows that it is better than a broken pane of agricltural galss in a draughty crittal frame :-)