Re: Earth and new light fitting

Am 75% through a kitchen re-build. Now, the lurverly new halogen lights

> we've bought from B&Q need to be fiited. Removed old fitting to see what I > assumed was the normal two wires (black and red). Fine, open box for shiney > new light fitting and 'SH*T', it's got an earth wire as well! Hmmm, who > nicked my earth cable in the attic? Had a wee peak behind the light switch > and ITS got an earth but none coming down from the attic! So, do I need to > crawl about in the attic to try and trace the wires back, add an extra earth > wire and strap it to a pipe, see where the light switch wire goes to and > connect it to that, set up the camping bed in the garage again?

If you're lucky, you can just trim the cable back a bit more and find someone cut the earth short. If your lighting circuit isn't earthed, then you will need to take the lamp back to B&Q and choose a double insulated one which doesn't need earthing, and also note that you need to get your lighting circuit rewired at some time (or rewire it first). You don't "strap it to a pipe".

You should also verify the earth is actually connected at the other end.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel