Shiny Bubble wrap (Insulation)

Not so long ago there was a thread about venting the attic to get rid of the hot air to cool the house etc, well, while thumbing the dreaded "screwfix" pages, I saw shiny "buble wrap" and wondered how good it is at reducing radiated heat (and cold) from the roof tiles. Looks like just the job to keep the attic cool(er) in the hot months.

Is it efficient? does it work the way it say on the tin?

Cheers Pete

Reply to
Pet

It will reduce radiated heat from the tiles, but the amount of heat that gets into the loft by radiation is fairly small companred to the amount that gets in by the tiles heating the loft air directly.

As for radiated cold...

Reply to
Grunff

If the insulation is to go straight onto the back of the tiles, i.e. between the rafters, then 50mm board (e.g. Kingspan) would be much better than aluminised bubble wrap.

Reply to
Grunff

Is he not taking about insulating the back of the tiles? If so that would prevent the convection heating from the tiles into the loft space, although by how much I don't know. I would have thought there are better products about.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Mills