RCD Keeps tripping on new installation

I'd hope the commissioning and testing of a new installation is done without any 'appliances' plugged in. But even then, decent sockets are double pole switched, so simply having them switched off would do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OP is supposed to be a "qualified, registered electrician", part of the kit he needs to be that would include an RCD tester.

No the description is such that the trip occurs instantly when ever N or E are connected at the same time, not at some random point with something else switching.

This chap is obviously only an "operator" press the button pass/fail, no understanding of what he is doing, how things work and no abilty to fault find. A "technician" should have enough knowledge of how RCDs and wiring works to figure out what the fault must be. An "engineer" would know...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Get a Wylex CU, the difference is apparent. And use RCBOs on each circuit. Far more expensive but well worth it. Far better.

I believe Weygand have double pole RCBOs which is better gain. But you may need a commercial CU with the RCBOs run vertical. This is the best.

An RCD that controls a bank of mcb's is a waste of time. A problem on one circuit can have the whole house switched - a daft idea.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Whole house? Which edition are you working to?

Reply to
Fredxx

Nothing says it must be split.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Not even reg 314?

Reply to
ARW

Gawd save us. He's claiming to know about electrics now.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dribble wouldn't know 'edition' if it bit him in the leg. It's one thing him talking s**te about electric cars on here - but another when he ventures into areas where he could do harm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This man is senile....and an insane Jocko.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This man is an idiot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

how about reading 314 before you make such pronouncements

Reply to
charles

I have!!!! Mandatory and advisory are not the same thing.

314.1 Every installation shall be divided into circuits, as necessary, to: (i) avoid hazards and minimize inconvenience in the event of a fault ... (iii) take account of danger that may arise from the failure of a single circuit such as a lighting circuit..... ......

To comply with 17th edition, circuits must be RCD protected if wiring is concealed less than 50mm from the surface.

Having one RCD on all the system complies. Nothing in the regs says that a CU must have two RCDs, or split load.

There is no specific Reg stating that you can't fit a consumer unit with only one main RCD, 314 only "implies" that one should not have all final circuits run off one RCD.

314 talks about spliting circuits such as lighting (upstairs and downstairs).
Reply to
Doctor Drivel
[Snip]

That, I believe, to be the key point. If there is only one RCD hazards will be created.

314.2 goes on to say "separate circuits shall be provided .... in such a way that those circuits are not affected by the failure of other circuits."

A single RCD covering all circuits would not comply with this.

but then, I'm only a Chartered Electrical Engineer.

not in my copy.

Reply to
charles

Hazards? One RCD creates a hazard? My oh my.

Tripe. A circuit may fail and the mcb trips and the RCD does not. It means splitting lights, sockets, etc, into separate circuits. I have the integrated microwave on a separate circuit (could have been on a ring), as was the cooker, fridge, washing machine, etc. All split. If one drops out on an mcb the rest are OK - well I put in RCBOs which is besides the point.

I wouldn't hire you. I bet you think BS's are the regs as well.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

yes, if something on one circuit takes out the single RCD, then all the lights go out. If it's dark that IS the hazard.

But if the RCD does trip?

How about BS7671:2008?

Reply to
charles

I think two RCDs is better than one. DP RCBOs on all circuits is by far the best. But the point is the regs do not state two RCDs are needed or a CU split into two: one part with an RCD and one part unprotected. NOTHING there states that. Look at words like shall, should , would, ect. You think they all mean shall.

Legrand single RCD CU for sale:

not split.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

He may be senile, as indeed I might be as well. But we, and a few others here, don't have our head in the sand and seemingly fail so badly to appear knowledgeable.

Have you ever tried sitting the C&G 2382-12 exam? I have and I passed, as indeed some others here will have done who question your "facts".

Reply to
Fredxx

The price is on the cover[1] in pounds shillings and pence...

[1] Ladybird book of house electrics probably...
Reply to
John Rumm

If anyone was ever in any doubt about dribble being mad, here's the proof.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)