Quiet kettle?

Anybody got any experience of a quiet kettle? Sick and tired of the noise! Seems all new kettles have the flat concealed element which (I think) makes them very noisy. Are there any new kettles around with the older elements or any new silent ones? Anyone? Thanks

Reply to
cave72man2001

Its called progress...

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

The noise is due to micro boiling at the element surface. A kettle with a larger element surface area per watt should be quieter for more of the heating cycle. Also keeping the element free from scale will help. You could try a microwave instead, depending how noisy your microwave is.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Gas ring and kettle almost silent unless you have a whistling one, certainly cheaper to buy and probably cheaper to heat the water (though have not made the calculations)

Tony

Reply to
TMC

I compared gas and electric kettles a couple of years ago. There was little to chose on costs. If on off peak, electricity would be cheaper.

Placing th (electric) kettle on a mouse mat will substantially reduce the noise.

Reply to
<me9

Good idea.

We got a Goblin Teasmade as a wedding present but it made a loud clonk at wake-up time minus 20 minutes, and thereafter made kettling noises which mounted to a crescendo as it finally did it's thing.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Tesco Value Kettles?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not the cheapest:

have the white slightly lower powered one - we like. Quieter than many but this high power one might be a bit noisier.

Reply to
Rod

Hi,

If your kettle has a filter you could try some 'boiling chips':

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

When I was an awful lot of years younger - like 40 ? - my mother had identified an red aluminium kettle that matched her kitchen decor. Over two successive Christmas' my father boiled the kettle dry when returning from his Christmas party. I would never have been brave enough to accuse my father of being pissed, but he did drive home and then fall asleep with the kettle on the gas. Result - two no longer red kettles and Dad having to go out and buy replacements - two years in a row !

By complete chance I happened to find such a kettle in a skip recently and I had not thought that it might perchance be better economically than the now also dead seriously noisy electrical one.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

How did you calculate the efficiency of a gas hob kettle?

My impression is that abut 8-% of the heat applied to a kettle actually flows past it to heat the handle, and the room.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nor have I but we enjoy using Spouse's Grandma's anciant copper kettle on the gas hob and it doesn't make any noise at all unless water's trapped under the lid's rim, when it bobs up and down when the water boils - like on Mrs Watt's kettle.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I have no idea how noisy one of these are, but for 3 seconds for a cuppa it would not matter if it was noisy.

the flash page from Tefal about it

homepage

ARWadsworth

Ah but it is not 3 seconds for a cupful, it starts producing hot 80-85C water in 3 secs.

I think it takes about 30 secs for a cupful !

Robert

Reply to
robert

We have recently had our free coffee/tea machines taken away at work after many years.

So, someone had the bright idea of popping over to Tescos and buying several of their £4.99 (ish) Value kettles.

They work OK, EXCEPT they have a very annoying safety feature - when they have just boiled, there is some fiendish bit of mechanical hysteresis built into the switch that stops it latching on for an annoyingly long time - several minutes. This is presumably to prevent the whole thing from overheating drastically - maybe the mains lead would get too hot or something if used almost continuously. Or maybe it's made of the same kind of plastic as my old Triton T200RE shower (the Worst Product I Have Ever Bought) that crumbled away after a few years of heat.

It probably wouldn't be TOO bad for occasional domestic use, but in a busy office when it is being boiled again and again, it's a very annoying wait. It also discourages certain selfish people who have just drained it from refilling it and sticking it on to boil ready for the next person to come along.

Glad my Tefal kettle at home cost about £30, and is still going strong. It can be put on to boil again immediately - useful in the kitchen for various cooking-related tasks.

Good luck!

Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

30 seconds. That is time wasted. Anything faster.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It's only time wasted if you stand/sit there watching it.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Don't tell the Elfin Saffty...

And it means you can't cook hardboiled eggs in it.

My Tesco kettle doesn't have that problem.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That's why I always liked them. A nice gentle way to be woken up gradually, and there's a brew at the end of it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If you do the calculations 3 kilowatts, 250 grams water and 80C temp rise gives roughly 30secs.

Robert

Reply to
robert