Quadrant Shower Enclosures

Having a very small shower room, we are looking to replace our current shower with a 900cm quadrant shower enclosure. We do not really want the door to open out into the room so we have looked at both inward-opening and single sliding doors. We'd prefer the latter but are unsure as to how durable these doors are and also how watertight. We'd appreciate any views on this from anyone who has either models.

Jo

Reply to
Jo

I can recommend the type that hinge in the middle and open inwards.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

My mother has a quadrant with a folding door. I don't know whether it is poor quality or poorly installed but the nylon sliders are so poor that I regularly put silicone spray on it or she would not be able to close it. We have a Merlyn Black Box offset quadrant with sliding curved doors. They are on wheels and slide beautifully. Very easy to install.

Neither leak.

Make sure that the tray is rigidly supported. Our floor gives a bit so I have finally used TeleSeal10 to seal between the tray and enclosure.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Watertight - no problem. There's a fin vertically down the far end of each door which presses firmly against a return on the frame upright. The join between the doors is a magnetic strip - like a fridge.

Ours has never leaked.

As for durability - the only problem we had was the rubber buffers that stop the doors in the right place pushed through the screws and split. Easy to fix - just carved a couple from a bit of softish plastic.

Reply to
Skipweasel

In article , Skipweasel writes

I've also seen a sliding door setup (1 on each glazed side, half width) where one is closed first, then the other and a convex surface on one edge meets a concave one on the other and the seal is made, no rubber to degrade and no leaks.

Setup is about six years old and runs freely.

The shower head was deliberately positioned so that the flow did not directly play on the joint.

Reply to
fred

I hope I am not hijacking this now but we have a sliding door on shower. One half fixed the half slides. When closed the `vertical fin` seals between the 2 halves. Been installed for around 5 years and decided to take the fin off to clean behind it. I cannot get it back in situ as it has gone quite rigid. I soaked in very hot water but didnt help. The fin sort of fits into a groove. Any ideas. P.S. It still doesnt leak with the fin/ seal removed.

Reply to
SS

Ours has 2 doors which meet in the centre when closed. Each door has a U section seal where the U grips the glass. Seal is magnetic and because it is some sort of plastic it can be adjusted on the glass so it meets perfectly from top to bottom.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Personally I would recommend sliding door(s). I have an off-set quadrant shower unit with two sliding doors and they are still very easy to open and shut after several years of use. Our two sliding doors have a magnetic seal where they meet - and are 100% waterproof.

I find the folding doors, even in showrooms, are often stiff and difficult to open and shut.

-- Triff

Reply to
Triffid

We have two showers at home; one with sliding doors (10 yrs old) and one with opening-inwards (5 yrs old). Neither has ever shown any signs of leaking. I prefer the sliders (wouldn't fit in the 2nd shower for reasons not relevant here) - the opening-in type are just a bit more awkward to enter the shower, plus it has more in the way of moving parts so if one of the doors ever goes wrong, I reckon it will be that one.

Ultimately of course it's all going to depend on which particular model of door you buy.

David

Reply to
Lobster

We have exactly that. A 900mm quadrant shower with two sliding doors. Made by Duschelux (known as Showerlux in the UK) so far it has had 15 years use. Never any problems with the doors and it still looks like new. Doors have never leaked, they seal magnetically.

The sliding doors are much better than the inward opening type and safer IMO.

Reply to
Steve Firth