Pruning

In a moment of good luck, I purchased these

for her to use. She finds them a bit heavy, but they have performed excellently for the last week. The blade is very sharp. The recharge time seems very fast. As I hate gardening, it was a good investment.

Reply to
Capitol

I use ratchet ones, no charging. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They're too big and heavy for her.

Reply to
Capitol

That looks like the sort of device you use with the other hand behind your back.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Really?! I find it hard to believe that something like these:

should be heavier than a motorised job with batteries.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

She would never get enough grip power to operate them. Anvil secateurs are harder to use than bypass.

Reply to
Capitol

Got my elderly mother some Bosch battery secateurs. Don't think she ever used them but I was quite impressed once I got the rhythm of using them. They do, however, tend to be a bit larger in the hand than I would wish.

Reply to
polygonum

I bought some of those in the asda sale a couple of months ago (£6). They do cut 20 mm branches but they require more effort than long handled loppers.

Reply to
dennis

Never come across that said before. I prefer anvil secateurs, because IMO you get a cleaner cut, especially if the pivot-bolt is worn and the blades tend to separate very slightly as they close. But ratchet types are much easier on arthritic hands than ordinary versions of either. I speak from experience.... :-(

Reply to
Chris Hogg

My MIL had arthritis in her hands so i bought her one like that, she was very pleased how easy it was to use

but she managed to cut the top off her little finger with it ;(

-
Reply to
Mark

It depends what you use them for. By-pass secateurs can get into smaller spaces and are good for cutting back soft side-shoots, or near buds. Anvil secateurs are better for hard, woody stems.

Reply to
Nightjar