Pruning of Magnolia

I bought this Magnolia plant and put it in the front of my Cincinnati home (zone-5?). The Kentucky Gardner that I purchased it from warned me that this is about the lowest temperature that Magnolia can tolerate. Believe it or not- it has survived 6 winters so far and doubled in size. How do I prune the tree (it is not just a plant anymore)- so it looks more like a tree and less like a big bush?

Reply to
Virgil Caine

try not to "over-prune". Limit pruning to end of march/beginning of april to to allow limbs to heal properly. pruning in the fall makes the tree susceptible to disease or fungus as it does not allow the tree to "scab over" before the winter. look for crossing branches and "suckers" that are only taking needed energy from branches that will be most productive bearers of blossoms. make cuts @ 1/2" from the trunk or leader limbs (not flush as it is easier to heal a lesser surface area)

hope this helps!

Reply to
ricks555