Powertool cases

I would like to build cases for my power tools using light durable material such as the cardboard-like stuff used for air travel luggage in the 1950s. Does anyone know what that material was and whether it is still available today from any supplier? Also is there a source for information on how to work the material, how to make joints, tools/adhesives to use, etc. TIA.

Reply to
ernie mendoza

Think it's vulcanised fabric. And it is quite superb as a suitcase material (light, very strong, thin).

You can get a ready supply of it by butchering Globetrotter suitcases....

Alternatively, search junk shops or car boots for old and battered cases, they make good toolboxes and are not all "collectors items".

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

As a follow up suggestion. Available from 'Lost Property' (or even buy one!) etc. those 'padded' and somewhat insulated lunch cases used by school children make excellent containers for smaller items such as an electrical test meter (VOM or DDVM), extra test leads, a voltage testing neon lamp, 12 volt and AC mains test lamp etc. and even a couple of small hand tools. many of these cases can be washed or wiped off. The lunch cases are sometimes thrown out when the 'thermos' or drinking bottle becomes damaged or gets mouldy! For some test meters we have used the smaller discarded shaver/cosmetic kit cases etc. Often just the right size to protect the meter itself while in a pocket or car glove compartment and also hold the test leads.

Reply to
Terry