Powertool cases

I would like to build cases for my power tools using light durable material such as the cardboard-like stuff used for air travel luggage in the 1950s. Does anyone know what that material was and whether it is still available today from any supplier? Also is there a source for information on how to work the material, how to make joints, tools/adhesives to use, etc. TIA.

Reply to
ernie mendoza

It was commonly called fiberboard. It was made from cotton and had to be sealed or it would expand when wet. I had many cases made for me at a company in New York City called: Oxford Fiber Sample case. It came in different weights(thicknesses) and could bbe doubled up for strength.

Phone installers tool cases were tyuically made from fiberboard. I believe these days they are plastic.

Reply to
Alan Sadler

consider 1/4" baltic birch ply. light, strong, cheap.

Reply to
bridger

That material, if it's the same, is still (or was quite recently) used in instrument cases--musical and scientific. It looks like a thin version of tempered hardboard (Masonite), but I don't know that for sure, and I have no idea how to get hold of some. You might try a musical instrument shop for info on case makers and go from there.

I have a tuba case made of the stuff, but haven't figured out what to put in it. It's a great case, though. The wife don't like it...It's kinda big, and I don't have a tuba. :) Maybe it's a coffee table? ;}

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Dan "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing twice."

Reply to
Dan Cullimore

That material, if it's the same, is still (or was quite recently) used in instrument cases--musical and scientific. It looks like a thin version of tempered hardboard (Masonite), but I don't know that for sure, and I have no idea how to get hold of some. You might try a musical instrument shop for info on case makers and go from there.

I have a tuba case made of the stuff, but haven't figured out what to put in it. It's a great case, though. The wife don't like it...It's kinda big, and I don't have a tuba. :) Maybe it's a coffee table? ;}

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Dan "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing twice."

Reply to
Dan Cullimore

That's _easy_.

If you play golf (a 'walk in the park, spoiled by a little white ball'), take the case and build a portable PA system into it. with a speech- synthesis chip feeding the PA. A simple push-button causes it to announce, _loudly_, the digit that precedes 'five'.

If you need 'em, I can sell you a complete set of plans for this item. It is the _perfect_ high-tech woodworking project -- an electronic 'tuba "Fore!"'.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

It looks a lot like pegboard material to me. I think I've seen pegboard without the holes in the borgs before.

Reply to
Eugene

Thanks for identifying the material. I can now google on the right track.

Reply to
ernie mendoza

Tempered Hardboard? - Commonly available in 1/8" and 1/4" thicknesses. Relatively cheap. I use it for shop cabinet drawer bottoms. Don't buy the UNtempered kind...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.