Potterton Suprima Lockout

I've getting getting problems with a 4 year old Suprima going to lockout. The red light flashes quickly and the circulating pump continues to run but it won't fire up until the reset button is pushed.
My local boiler engineer has suggested that it's probably the pcb, but he's not absolutely sure. He wants 250 pounds to supply and install a new one.
If there are any heating experts out there I'd appreciate their confirmation that this is the most likely cause. I've had a look and it seems a simple job to replace it myself and I've found a reconditioned unit from Control Engineering for 50 pounds or so.
Thanks in advance.
Roly

When the circulating pump failed on the system here, it blew the fuse on the Suprima's PCB. This is in a black twist-lock holder. I *think* it also caused the boiler to go into "lockout" mode, but am not certain.
The manual also says:
"If the boiler fails to light after 3 attempts it will go into lockout and the red LED will start to flash. Press the reset button, the LED will stop flashing and the boiler will attempt to relight a further three times."
"Overheat limit thermostat: the boiler is fitted with a safety thermostat to protect against overheating of the water. is this thermostat operates, the boiler will lockout and the red LED will start to flash. Press the reset button , the LED will stop flashing and the boiler will attempt to re-light. If the control does not reset, leave the boiler for 15 minutes before pressing the reset button again. Note: interruption of the electrical supply to the boiler may also cause the overheat thermostat to operate."
Presumably a duff fan or overheat thermostat could also be the cause of the lockout and these should be investigated before the PCB is condemned.
--
A. Top posters.
Recently had a board from CET for my Suprima and so far so good Original lasted 10 years so I think I was lucky -

Roly Wrote: > Thanks guys for the response. I'll try reducing the boiler water > temperature

> way

I had the overheat 'cut out' on my suprema boiler, this became more frequent over time until ultimatley it was in permanent lock out. I read this forum and contacted CET they advised my of the replacement PCB. It took me about 15 mins to take out 4 screws and about 6 conectors and put the replacement PCB back in and reconnect. It is so simple to do. Since replacing the board 4 weeks ago I have not had a problem at all!
My advise try changing the PCB for 50 from http://www.cetltd.com/default.asp its a lot cheaper than a new boiler!
Its definatley a manufacturing fault as all of my neighbours have the same problem (houses built around 4 years ago by Barrett).
Paul
--
paulws