Potterton Suprima 80 boiler

We had one of the above mentioned fitted in June 2000. Almost immediately and quite regularly, it has "locked out." I have found that by turning down the water temperature on the boiler, it behaves rather better, but sometimes in the winter we need a boiler temperature more than 65 C.

My plumber now informs me that it is a PCB fault with this type of boiler of that period and that Potterton have now rectified this fault. He says that he has had to deal with this problem on a regular basis. Apparantly it was a design or manufacturing problem with the first PCBs for this boiler. He also tells me that it will cost about =A3250 to replace this faulty PCB.

Does anyone else have any knowledge of this problem? If it is the case that it was a faulty batch of PCBs then I will take it up with Potterton / Baxi.

Any thoughts or comments most welcome

TIA John.

Reply to
John Edgar

In article , John Edgar writes

Wossisname will be along to give the web addy of replacement board as soon as.. other than that welcome to the wonderful world of a contender for the worst boiler in the world contest.

Bl**dy things a heap of cack, and the PCB is loved by plumbers the country over for the simple job of replacing the board and the profit to be made!.

I have heard that the MK2 PCB isn't that much better then the MK1, you can take it up with the wallys who made this pile of doo, but I don't think anyone's got anywhere with them ..

Reply to
tony sayer

Cue Geoff.............. or Raden .........

I had mine replaced a couple of years back and all has been well since...........

I think it cost me about £40 exchange and it only takes about 10 mins to exchange...

So I would do it for £200 plus any travel expenses...... :-))

but then others might consider me incompetent and insist on a CORGI person doing it, cos they are registered and therefore competent and allowed to charge what they want.......

unless you know differently ??????

(Let the Flaming begin....))

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

Nah, it'd only be a runner up to the Poxi-Batterton Barcelona. If this boiler had a very reliable PCB and a lowish price tag then it could even gain respect. The design would be 10-20 years behind the state of the art but (apart from the PCB) as a boiler of that ilk it's OK.

I was going to say that £250 quid was a bit steep till I looked up the cost of the PCBs (well over £150 and over £200 from some places). Law of supply and demand (demand in this case!).

raden will be along to tell you how you can go to him for well under £75 _exchange_.

Reply to
Ed Sirett