Potterton Profile problem

Page 2 of 2

A diode costs what - less than 1p in bulk? Perhaps they want it to fail - just out of warranty.
--
*Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

geoff

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 11:07:29 +0000, Dave Plowman wrote:

the ones in a Baxi Barcelona. The replacement (well over 100) comes with a new wiring harness since the board has different connections.
They must have been really desperate to do that.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 19:47:23 +0000, "Ed Sirett"

Yes and no. A radical redesign involving radical component swap out funded by the end customer pays for the rework and keeps the installers happy as well.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

they don't have any stock). There are a few others for example the Maxol Microturbo
--
geoff

Ed Sirett snipped-for-privacy@makewrite.demon.co.uk typed:

Bugger bums, just bought a house (for letting) with one of these fitted. Do you know why it needed the redesign/what the usual fault was?
-- Mark's Signature Free Zone. No Random wordily Quotations No attempt at infantile Humour And no Tedious Home-pages :-)
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:40:12 +0000, Mark wrote:

I hope you got a discount off the purchase price equivalent to the full cost of a replacement boiler. 8-(
It's not a combi so hopefully there's an immersion heater somewhere.
The good news is that the unit is probably young enough to qualify for a maintenance contract with a large company who specialize in such things. This is likely money well spent <wink>.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Ed Sirett snipped-for-privacy@makewrite.demon.co.uk typed:

LOL But I would still be interested in knowing what the fault was the demanded such drastic action. Forewarned is forearmed
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:10:38 +0000, Mark wrote:

We are talking here about a Barcelona. These boilers are not the greatest of designs. I have no idea what the fault was that caused them to go for a total redesign. The fault that caused me to have to exchange one was because it failed to drive the combustion fan, (if I had blindly followed the fault finding guide I would have replaced the fan).
The new board has so far continued to work (about 15 months and still going - so far).
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Ed Sirett snipped-for-privacy@makewrite.demon.co.uk typed:

Thanks for the info, so far I've been very lucky with CH boilers and only had pump/timer failures in rented houses/flats. Which I've been able to fix myself. Looks like I well have to line up a reliable CH engineer to handle all the electronics on these modern contraptions. Alternatively I may buy up all the remaining stock of non-condensing non-elec, gravity feed boilers I can find ! probably be cheaper in the long run :-)
-- Mark
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 11:55:00 +0000, "Ed Sirett"
Big snip for brevity

It is strangle that the Potterton profile still suffers from exploding boiler syndrome,just like its predecessor,the potterton netaheat.
I visited one only the other week which had exploded in the night. There wasnt much left of it worth saving.
joe
On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 09:13:22 +0000, tarquinlinbin

What's the mechanism by which it does that?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 11:38:22 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

1) A gas explosion. 2) A steam water exlosion in the heat exchanger.
The first might be caused by a leaky gas valve the second by a _totally_ blocked heat exchanger. I can't see why these boilers should be more prone that other makes using similar if not identical components.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

geoff

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 11:55:00 +0000, "Ed Sirett"
Big snip for brevity

It is strangle that the Potterton profile still suffers from exploding boiler syndrome,just like its predecessor,the potterton netaheat.
I visited one only the other week which had exploded in the night. There wasnt much left of it worth saving.
joe

Thought the Netaheat was a pretty reliable boiler?
--
*If you can read this, thank a teecher

Dave Plowman wrote:

I suppose when it explodes it's still providing heating of sorts, might be a pain interfacing that with an optimising chronotherm though :)
--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk