Plumbing tip of the day

Added a new radiator at the weekend, to a vented system which I had recently added new inhibitor. New rad is on top floor and I had laid on the pipework previously, so only a towel rail needed draining, and the expansion tank. Not wanting to lose the inhibitor in the expansion tank, I wanted to plug the outlet. Hunted around, and then hit on the idea of using the plug of silicone which sets in the nozzle of a silicone gun tube. Blew the plug out backwards with a compressed air can, and it worked perfectly.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Genius. I'll save the next ones I come across and put them in my plumbing box for future use.

Great tip.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

I have, long ago, successfully used a raw carrot for a similar purpose.

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

Small Dutch boy anyone?

Reply to
Graham.

Was the taste affected?

Reply to
Davey

After some experience of trying to do pipework when young, my tip of the day is get a plumber in unless its a simple waste pipe issue... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Traditionally it was a carrot on the tank outlet and a potato over the end of the vent pipe.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Many years ago I bought a set of rubber plugs for precisely this sort of job. With string attached to make them easier to remove, and less likely to get lost.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You missed out. Bending and soldering copper tube to a neat job is one of life's little pleasures.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1 as they say.
Reply to