Penetrating/releasing oil

Hi all,

What's the most effective penetrating oil available now? I need something to free off seized nuts on threads and collars on shafts. WD40 seems hopeless for this purpose; I've never had any luck with it in years. Any better suggestions?

cheers.

Reply to
orion.osiris

In message , snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net writes

Plus Gas?

WD40 is a good general-purpose lubricant, penetrating oil, lubricant, rust preventer etc, but is rather too viscous to penetrate deeply.

Don't forget that when freeing off seized nuts etc, it often helps if you first try to tighten the nut slightly.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Plus Gas.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Monday 15 July 2013 13:52 snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Plusgas

Reply to
Tim Watts

Plenty of DIY recipes on the internet (mostly invovling automatic transmission fluid) but if you only need small quantities, I'd add my vote to the "Plusgas" camp.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Penetrating oil is what you need. ToolSatan's "Tectane" penetrating oil is fine and cost £3.09 a tin.

Search for "penetrating oil".

Reply to
Steve Firth

Reply to
orion.osiris

The best of all is an oxy-acetylene torch. Heat nut to red heat and remove with ring spanner while hot.

Reply to
harryagain

Also a good idea to wear heat protective gloves.

Reply to
Bob H

Nonsense to all of that.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

HWGA. Despite what experiences YOU might have had, I've always found WD40 to be good stuff. It has a multitude of uses, and it performs most tasks pretty well. No DIY home should be without it.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

The manufacturer claims all of those properties at

Now of course you could argue "they would say that wouldn't they" but I don't see how they could have gotten away with it all these years in the litigious USA if there was any evidence to the contrary.

Reply to
Reentrant

No; it doesn't.

My home is certainly without it and will always be, unless the WD40 fairy leaves a tin overnight. It does nothing in the way of penetration and lubrication a mix of oil /paraffin does better, and its WD properties are about all it might have going for it, except silicone spray is far superior.

Basically, it's just a very, very expensive way of buying kerosene with a smidgeon of light oil in it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

My goodness; "US Manufacturer Full of Shit - Shocker!".

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I like this bit:

As The Duct Tape Guys say, ?You only need two tools in life, Duct Tape® and WD-40. If it's not stuck and it's supposed to be, Duct Tape it. If it's stuck and it's not supposed to be, WD-40 it.?

So true - so very true!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

And the third item in the universal toolkit is an impact adjustment tool for when the WD40 doesn't help.

Reply to
John Williamson

a.k.a. a Birmingham Screwdriver

Reply to
charles

Brummagem screwdriver, please. ;-)

Reply to
John Williamson

That HD reinforced sticky tape of whatever manufacturer does its job very w ell indeed. WD-40 on the other hand does sweet FA IME.

Reply to
orion.osiris

Exactly. *WHEN* - not if - the WD40 doesn't help.

Reply to
orion.osiris