Penetrating Mixwax Stain

I used a Minwax Red Oak stain on some oak and it didn't turn out red enough. Attempts to stain over that with Red Mahagony stain, which is deeper, hasn't deepened the color at all. I'm guess that it's due to the sealer that Minwax incorporates into the stain. Short of sanding it down, is there anyway to penetrate the sealer in the first coat? I suppose that I could use a toner over it...

-- Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Schultz

If you don't test on samples, you are experimenting on your project.

I suggest tossing the Miniwax and don't buy it a again.

If the stain indeed had a sealer it is not likely that you will get a darker stain by reapplying. You may however find some success if you lightly scuff sand the finish, give the new coat of stain something to stick to.

AGAIN, don't experiment on your project, try my and others suggestions on scraps.

Reply to
Leon

Hello,

As already suggested, toner is probably the way to go but you might consider a glaze instead.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron

"Leon" wrote in news:VtLPk.3776$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi150.ffdc.sbc.com:

I did test it on scraps and thought that it was deep enough. Upon later evaluation (on a much larger piece), I determined that it wasn't dark-red enough. I've tried sanding with a 220 grit and re-applying, but that didn't do much.

-- Geoff

Geoff Schultz

Actually with "penetrating" oil stains, there is a pigment that has to get into the fibers of he wood. So sanding at 220 after staining probably just clogged up the pores more. Using your sample, you can try to apply a dye stain over the pigment stain. Most of these are water based and since this is likel minwax oil stain, you should use an alcohol based mix. Transtint can mix with either or if you can find a pre-mixed NGR (Non Grain Raising) it has used some solvent based mix that is not water.

A sec> I used a Minwax Red Oak stain on some oak and it didn't turn out red

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com