DIY penetrating oil.

Do any of you have your own formulas for DIY penetrating oil? This video on making your own is pretty annoying but the test at the end is interesting if its not fixed! Jump to 4:30 for comparisons and his test.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I've used a mix of Dexron (ATF) and white spirit for ages. I've tried Dexron and Acetone but it wasn't noticeably better, was more expensive and Acetone is generally less easily available. Unlike White Spirit it also dissolves many plastics. Dexron II by the gallon is about £20.

With any penetrating fluid the longer you can leave it on the better. The white spirit/Dexron mix is cheap enough that you can put a gallon in a can and immerse things in it for weeks.

Reply to
Peter Parry

The thinner the oil the better. Baby oil is what, 50p or so last time I got some. But don't waste it, you must consider the welfare of the babies.

NT :)

Reply to
tabbypurr

The formulation of Dexron has varied quite a bit over time. Modern ATFs are usually synthetic but I am struggling to find details of the usual additives. They probably contain corrosion inhibitors which may help to dissolve rust.

I always used to reckon the original liquid Plus Gas was very effective, it is supposed to contain corrosion inhibitors but the MSDS is not very forthcoming:

newshound

Diesel oil plus a bit of lubricating/engine oil.

Reply to
harry