Penetrating Sealer

I have some fence grade redwood, very rough, very dry, that I want to use for a gate. The top coat will be paint, latex probably, but my mind is open.

It seems like it would be a good idea to seal the wood with something that would penetrate to give a good bond. West Systems epoxy would be good, but way too expensive.

would linseed oil work in a situation like this> Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to
Charles