PC Sound - TV - Cables

I need to connect sound card output to TV input - what I needs is

35mm stereo male to 2 x phono male (RCA).

But I want them to be about twenty feet long. I haven't actually found any as long as that - but if I do, I bet they will be twenty five quidish or even more.

I am thinking of using the correct plugs with small tails and then connect them to twenty feet of twisted pairs or similar - just via small junction blocks or soldering

I'm not bothered about hi-fi: just basic stereo sound

Any views/suggestions - type of wire? etc.

Reply to
judith

Try this:

done for 4 quid - no?

Reply to
Keith G

judith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I recently went through a similar search, in my case to play MP3 and FLAC audio files from a laptop via an stereo amp (both located in the shed) into large (DJ size) speakers for music at a garden barbecue party.

I tried the cheapo cables (you've had an eBay item pointed out) but found that the voltage drop was significant. In the end I went for one of these:

In my case I bought the 5m 'Premium' job; I see they also do a 10m and

20m version.

Two slighly OT comments:

  1. I really must get a Squeezebox :)
  2. I can thoroughly recommend Cable Universe as a supplier of all kinds of cables (I've bought shed loads of CAT5 Ethernet drop cables from them) as well as other bits and bobs. Good quality, reasonable prices, and very fast delivery.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

You want screened cable, not twisted pairs.

There are a variety of lengths here up to 32ft.

Eeyore

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 13:50:39 +0100, judith waxed lyrical about:

I had a similar problem when I needed to link my TV to my amp at opposite ends of my lounge (a total run of about 40ft), I got some

2-way screened audio cable from Maplin and soldered it to plate mounted phono sockets.

Maplin do a range of suitable cables from about 80p/metre upwards & if you don't fancy soldering phono plugs on you can get plugs with a shield clamp and grub screw for the signal wire.

I wouldn't fancy soldering a 3.5mm stereo jack anymore as my eyes aren't up to it now so I'd probably solder phono plugs and connect them to the sound card via a 3.5mm jack to twin female phono adapter

There, that's the DIY bit done, but, as you only want basic stereo sound, you'll probably find it easier (and cheaper) to order from somewhere like this

jack to phono pair (10m) for £5.64 (inc VAT)

Perry

Reply to
Perry (News)

Try CPC:

have a number of them. Something like order code AL349 or PSG00193 - prices range from about £3 to approaching a tenner depending on quality etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Spot on - ordered - bargain!!

Reply to
judith

Since you have already ordered what seems to be an excellent solution - there's not a lot to add that will help you directly.

However for future reference, the standard 1 meter 35 mm - RCA adaptor cable, joined to long standard RCA cable (s) with standard barrel adaptors, works about as well as anything.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

3.5mm shurley
Reply to
Graham.

I *hope* you mean 3.5mm ;-)

Buy the plugs and single co-ax from Maplin etc and solder the connections.

Any miniature audio co-ax will do. Only a few pence a metre.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You post this *6 hours* after the OP reports she's ordered one off eBay...??

???

Reply to
Keith G

(a) She might want another one at a later date (although that Ebay price looked pretty good)

(b) Someone might be reading this at sometime in the future, and find the information helpful

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not everyone sits at a computer all day Keithie. Some go to work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And do a damn sight less than I have today, but WTF is the point of posting advice on making cables when you've already been told they've

*ordered* one...??
Reply to
Keith G

So that people coming to the thread in the future (or even just lurking now) know of alternatives.

Easy, eh?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

With the way usenet prorogation works, there is no guarantee that everyone will see all responses at the same time, even assuming you choose to read them all before replying.

Reply to
John Rumm

No, forget all that - it was just Plowie *dispensing wisdom* as he likes to do!

Which, in this case, was a totally pointless 'after the fact' exercise, IMO - when I responded to the OP it reminded me that I needed to replace the clumsy thick cable/connector/thin cable cable on my amp/laptop setup, so I bought this cable at the same time:

for at 14:24 yesterday afternoon, it arrived at 07:50 this morning:

is very 'pretty' and is just the right length and 'thickness' for the job and only cost At £4.19 all in (see pic). Add in the fact that I only had to walk to the front doormat to get it and it makes any notion of pissing about sourcing the bits and making one up look just a wee bit daft, don't it?

(Unless you are going to mention the *satisfaction* of DIY...?? :-)

Reply to
Keith G

See my other post with all the pix - I haven't tried my cable yet but it looks the biz for probably less than the cost of the DIY parts! With any luck, the OP's probably has already got hers as well!

When a quick eBay grab will still be a better bet - lower 'carbon footprint', if nothing else...!!

Reply to
Keith G

Well that is kind of the purpose of the group... so stop whinging.

If you type PSG00807 into CPCs search box you could have saved yourself

50p ;-)

Not if you need a custom length, need to control the quality of materials and construction, or need to terminate the wire after installation.

Reply to
John Rumm

OK then, let me dispense some for you: If you want to be a Smart Alec and yet not look *too* thick - learn to spell....

Reply to
Keith G