PC keyboard

SWMBO treats her keyboard like her piano, hitting the keys more in forte fashion. The result is that the letters on the keycaps wear badly. A set of stickers has worn even more quickly than the originals. My keyboard is hardly worn at all, but it's a Microsoft ergonomic one, which she hates to use.

Can anyone recommend a keyboard (not wireless) with really hard-wearing keycaps?

Reply to
Ramsman

Teach her a lesson:

's virtually indestructable.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

No signs of wear on my Cherry.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Or one of these

one of these

an IBM Model M.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes, but how's your keyboard? ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Filco are the best followed by Cherry both available at

and Amazon. If you can locate an original IBM 'buckling spring' model and don't mind the noise they are probably the most hardy keyboards ever made.

-- rbel

Reply to
rbel

omg that's a disgusting looking keyboard, it'd give me a headache ;-0

This one would do the job ;-)

probbley not a practical solution, but I'd like one to play with.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Most modern ones have simple printed lettering. Which doesn't last. Older ones with the 'hard' keys usually engraved which does. I'm using an Acorn keyboard here (cream with black lettering) from the '90s which still cleans up as new. All my 'Microsoft' ones show signs of wear.

I have had some success with letraset followed by some clear lacquer, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Huge

You must be a very indulgent husband, has she no housework to do?

As others have said though the vast majority of modern PC keyboards have the symbols printed on them and they will wear out .. having said that I'm currently using a "Tiny" keyboard (anyone remember them) which was very budget and it's as good today as it ever was (and no wearing). I think your options are (1) buy a dirt cheap one from PC world or the like for a tenner or less and expect to replace it every year or so or alternatively (2) look for the very expensive ones with raised symbols on the keys sold to those with difficulties seeing.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Well in my experience of dealing rooms traders do need to be treated like kids - everlastingly having to pick up their rattles from the ground under their pram

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

'Quality' keytops were always 'two shot moulded', with the symbols injected as a separate operation but the accountants put paid to that process. My favourite keyboard is still the big clunky one that came with the original IBM AT. Decent key travel and a definite feedback that you'd hit it. Years back when they failed, we used to put them through a domestic dish washer, pull them out before the end dry cycle, and let them dry off slowly in a warm place - at least 80% of faulty ones were revived and the keyboard came out beautifully clean!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Too bloody true. You also need a keyboard that can survive having an expensive noise cancelling telephone handset repeatedly smashed into it.

Reply to
Huge

Well, the other tack is to get a few Tesco Value ones and simply replace them when they go down.

Most people have learned where the keys are by the time the letters wear off!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

IBM Model M - bullet proof.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

One police control room used to go through several mice per shift. A particular operator used to hammer the mouse ball though the PCB then swapped mice with another workstation. took CCTV to see what was going on.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The key to the long lasting letters is the process used. Most of the cheapos use printing but some use a kind of injection technigqe where the letter is melted into the keytop in a different colour of plastic. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We just started charging people's cost centres for the keyboards & hand sets. Their managers soon sorted it out - I think the two between them were the thick end of £2K.

Reply to
Huge

From the keyboard co also look at

This is the highest quality, high visibility keyboard, on the market today, with it's large legends engraved in to it's keys. The keyboard and keys are black, and the legends are white, the legends will never wear off, and the keys use the Cherry mechanical G80 (blue) tactile keyswitch.

They also sell the unicomp version of the IBM model M. Made on the original (well, Lexmark era) tooling, but not as solid as the original.

Reply to
djc

IBM model M. Mine just turned 26 this month. Noisy as hell, but bomb- proof, and from a typing point of view the nicest keyboard that's ever been made.

If you don't have a real keyboard port on the PC, you'll need an active USB-PS/2 adaptor; the cheap ones sometimes seen are purely passive and rely on the keyboard to detect that it's been plugged into a USB port (and act accordingly) - model M's are too old to know anything of USB, of course.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson