Wired media keyboard

Looks like my Logitech G-810 keyboard might be about to fail. I am getting increasing problems with the space bar - either no space, or a double space. :-(

It is a gaming keyboard,(1) and is otherwise pretty good. I guess it doesn't enjoy the duty of a space bar browsing usenet.

I want a full-size RGB-illuminated wired keyboard, with media keys. Any suggestions?

(1) I don't do gaming, but it seems that is the way to get the spec I want.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

You can get replacement key switches. IIRC the Logitech ones used their own brans switches rather than Cheery etc.

E.g. first ones on a search:

I want a full-size RGB-illuminated wired keyboard, with media

Reply to
John Rumm

Chris

I assume this is for a Windows machine. FYI I have a Linux Mint laptop (the machine could be used for gaming), and although I can get the keys illuminated in blue, I can't get the full spectrum of colours. I would need to run Windows to do that.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

It may also be worth spraying switch contact cleaner and lubricant into the switch and working it a number of times. That may remove any crud that has built up, clean the contacts and mechanism and evaporate rapidly leaving a lubricant behind.

Reply to
SteveW

Just replace the switch

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have my laptop dual bootable with either Win10 2019 server or Ubuntu

22.04. When in Ubuntu mode it leaves the Fn key illuminated.
Reply to
jon

Yup, good idea!

Reply to
John Rumm

I have a Logitech G810. There are multiple open source packages that allow you to control keyboard LEDs. I'm using G810-LED. Windows is not needed.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Yep. The G810 driver is available from the Mint repo, but I have a built-in keyboard on my Clevo laptop. I've just checked again (I've had the laptop almost 8 years), and there are now LED drivers for it. Long thread here:

. There was a bit of an issue when new kernels appeared!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

The space bar gets used a lot in gaming. It is conveniently under the left thumb when using WASD keys to move an avatar.

I've never seen the point of illuminated keyboards.

with media

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I choose to have one because I computer from a deep armchair with my feet up with the mouse running around on a old recipe book cover on my lap with the keyboard under the screens to the left of me when I am only typing not much text. It isnt that light under there in some situations and the illumination helps.

The other massive advantage of illuminated keyboards is that they have to be double injection moulded and so the letters never wear off.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I have always used my computers at a desk, with the ambient lighting high enough that the screens are not significantly brighter than the background behind them. I also don't look at the keys that much. I don't touch type, but my two typing fingers do seem to know where the keys are most of the time.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Good to hear.

The g810-led scripts are easy to write and you can create some nice effects.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I work in low light. You can create some very attractive lighting effects.

I use shades of blue on Function keys, text keys, arrows, numeric pad, etc. Makes me happy.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Unless your screen is almost black, that can cause eye strain. The monitor and its background should be of similar brightness.

That does seem to be the only purpose for them so far as I can see.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Where I can I set BG to black.

The keyboard may have features besides the LEDs that make it worthwhile. My Logitech G810 is a good example. The lights are for show and working in low light conditions.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Doesn't for me.

Doesn't need to be for me.

The other obvious purpose is that the lettering never wears off because the keytops have to be double injection moulded.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Well, yes. But you can have non illuminated keyboards with that.

The keyboard I am using here has been in daily use since 1989.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bob Eager snipped-for-privacy@eager.cx wrote

But those are far less common now.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not all. The spare keyboard that I am currently using has translucent keycaps, fully overprinted black, leaving just the lettering unprinted. It is a temporary replacement for my Ducky mechanical keyboard that my son spilled a drink into.

I have managed to clean and dry the pcb, casing, etc., but one key (despite numerous applications of switch cleaner) is a bit sticky. I must get around to buying a replacement switch and soldering it in.

Although I've just looked and the keyboards seem to be reduced to around

50 quid ... they were 180 last time I looked!
Reply to
SteveW