Patio doors upstairs. Why?

There are two houses near me with patio doors fitted upstairs. They have no balconies, no railings and no view. I can't think of any reason for installing them or how they pass building regs without some sort of railing.

both cases admittedly, the buildings are in the process of being built or extended so it's possible that railings will be added later but my wife assures me that she's seen similar on other properties locally that are long finished.

This is in Scotland btw as I guess building regulations must vary but I still can't see how it can be permissable (or indeed, the point of doing it in the first place).

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Firstly - don't assume that developers consider the view when they use their off- the-peg designs. It is all about number of properties per plot.

Maybe they will be fitting a steel railing - "Juliet Balcony"

Reply to
John

I don't think either of these are off-the-peg designs. I think they've been installed at the owner/buyers request. They're not part of any bigger developments.

If they're for the view, then a window would be better, if they're for ventilation, a window would be better. They're clearly not for access to anywhere hence my confusion.

Perhaps, but why a door in the first place?

TIm

Reply to
Tim Downie

================================== There might be a safety barrier inside and it's just possible that the doors are a bit of overkill for fire exit.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I can imagine an interior safety "rail" - maybe a sheet of mesh with a handrail? - so the occupier can open the doors up for the full "hello world, what a wonderful day" experience - but not fall out.

Reply to
Rod

Maybe the owner drives a cherry picker? ;-)

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I'm pretty sure that the doors open inwards.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Some sort of fire exit regulation is the only thing I can think of but it seems to be exchanging a remote risk of being trapped in a fire for a much bigger risk of losing a child.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Or the opening is required to install a grand piano or other such furniture.

Reply to
Adrian C

IKWYM but patio doors without patios are just doors. :-)

Could there be a pool below, to dive into?

We have just had doors installed upstairs (where there used to be just a window) and the builder told us that railings were required, minimum height 1000mm, maximum separation 80mm. (England)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

In a work environment, health and safety regulations stipulate a minimum height of 1.1m.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Absolutely - now a standard fitment for modern developments. I'd wager a tidy sum on that appearing soon.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The message from "Tim Downie" contains these words:

a railing will be fitted in due course.

Reply to
Anne Jackson

Loads of them on the riverside/dockside apartments round here, doors open inwards, steel railings to stop you falling out.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That's usually the last thing the builders do, because without the railing there's an excellent entry/exit route for men and materials.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Its the only way to get furniture in and out of some of them, the stairs are to narrow/twisting to use.

There are a few people around here that have had a delivery van arrive, two blokes get out and struggle for a few minutes and then put the load back on the van.

Reply to
dennis

Okay, how about this one then. Long finished. No sign of railings (& no swimming pool below).

Tim Downie

That's just daft - and looks it! Could be a railing inside though.

Reply to
Phil

The message from "Tim Downie" contains these words:

Reply to
Anne Jackson

The message from Phil contains these words:

I doubt it somehow. If the railing is inside, then the doors will need to open outwards, and if that's the case then closing them could be hazardous, to say the least.

I can't see how that would have passed a building inspection...

Reply to
Anne Jackson