Part P and all that

I wish to carry out domestic electrical installations. How many schemes are there in existence and what is the best way about joining one. I am fairly knowledgeable on the subject but am a bit rusty in this field as well.

I know this is not a new topic in this group but would appreciate any pointers which give a cost effective route to this.

Reply to
Fred

More than you wanted to know at

't forget to check the initiation ceremonies for each of these mediaeval guilds - it could be more than rolling up of trouser legs :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

You will need to take City & Guilds 2381, and possibly 2391 if your a bit rusty as you say!

So if you have Just over £2000 lying around,(college fees, test gear, registration)( + tools and vehicle) to get set up go for it.

Their are 5 bodies you can register with, but the one most recognised, which will help to get most work is the NICEIC

Dave Jones

I have not yet met, nor heard of, an electrician who is pleased or understanding with the P reg thingey. They all moan about and some have not done anything to gain the P reg cert.

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Bewl

They don't need Part P if they stick to commercial work. Guess which one pays better.....

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

But they still have to be qualified to be able to certify installations.

Middle aged sparkie neighbour who had worked on the oil terminal at Sullom Voe gave up sparkying and started doing landscape gardening/walling when the job finished up there because he hadn't kept up with the wiring regs.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

I know, but was always thus. Part P is just a load of bull to haul in the ones who did'nt pay tax on cash jobs.

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

To be honest £2,000 is not a lot of outlay for starting a trade. After having all the testing hardware etc, how much are the NICEIC annual fees. How much is the insurance associated with the guarantees you have to make? Is all that included in the NICEIC fees?

Reply to
Fred

You are John Prescott, and I claim my five pounds!

Reply to
Al Reynolds

I entirely disagree with anything which stops my freedom to do what I want in my own house. I would call it a nanny state where, one day, I have to trained and have the appropriate qualification to wipe by arse after going to the loo, or pay someone else to do it for me. It's another example of red tape which will serve little to save life or improve living standards.

I still think that £2,000 is not a lot to enter a restricted trade and belong to a recognised association.

No I'm not that ugly!

Reply to
Fred

Except that, as I understand it, even if you've passed the C&G courses, you need to have 2 years experience of domestic installation before you can become NICEIC (or any scheme) approved to self-certify. Otherwise you need to get the local authority to come out and check all your work!

So you can't just become a sparky. The rules have been written to prevent that happening. If I can summarise the rules...

You can't become a self-employed, self-certify> >I wish to carry out domestic electrical installations. How many schemes

Reply to
dean

How does one study to pass 2381 when you can't get on a course without already being employed as an electrician. This one

even requires that you are a qualified electrician.

Seems like catch-22 to me.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Particularly if this amount is tax deductable...

Reply to
Dark Angel