painting sealant?

I've noticed recently that the sealant around some exterior windows has been painted in the past. The paint, only on the sealant, is mostly cracked and crazed but I'm sure it says on some sealants that they can be painted over.

Should a primer be used on it before the u/coat and topcoat or what's the correct method?

TY

Reply to
Ed

If it's silicone, which is most likely is, then no paint will stick to it properly. The only thing I've had mild success with is smooth finish hammerite, which seems to stay fairly flexible, and so doesn't crack.

Reply to
Grunff

But there is nothing to stop you ripping it off and repointing it with a more suitable colour. I am assuming it is so bad that the work would be worth it.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

The best thing you can paint it with is more sealant. Wash thoroughly with white spirit, then get some standard artists oil paint and mix with clear sealant (or coloured if you can find a good colour match) and white spirit to form a silicone based paint, it should stick fine and not crack.

Reply to
Simon