Painting custom made bathroom units

Hello All,

In my bathroom refurbishment plan I am looking for a vanity unity and conce aled-cistern WC unit, with a counter-top going over the lot. Although there are plenty of commercial suites available, my space is confined and I have to fit around a length of soil pipe in the room. So I am contemplating ha ving units made to measure.

One concern I have is the paint finish. Assuming the units will be made MDF , albeit water-resistant type, I imagine the paint finish is important, fro m a water penetration viewpoint and also aesthetics. What sort of paint/pai nt systems are recommended for this situation? What do commercial manufactu rers use - some sort of laquer coating? I would like the finish to look as professional as possible.

Would be grateful for any advice.

Chris

Reply to
cskrimshire

Might be worth having a word with this lot. Amazed they still don't have a website, but they do some serious paints, and might point you to a local stockist

Not sure you'll get that high gloss finish of the manufactured units though

Reply to
stuart noble

We had a similar problem - a requirement for a vanity unit with a back-to-wall WC with dimensions unlike any commercial units.

We wanted high gloss white doors/panels, and a black roll top narrow worktop. The worktop was no problem, if expensive for what it was. Our solution to the white doors and panels was to use a manufacturer of replacement kitchen doors, with a gloss white "skin". There are several of these to be found by googling, and some will (for an additional cost) make doors to any size required. So, design and measure (very carefully!) and order doors and panels in whatever finish you like. Make (or have made) a cupboard frame in appropriate materials (melamine white chip for us) and hang doors with normal kitchen hinges, or screw on non movable panels, as needed.

Not a particularly cheap option, but no worse in cost than many of the commercial vanity units, and you get exactly what you want.

Charles F

Reply to
Charles F