Paint keeps ok

I found an unopened 4L tin of cheapy gloss white under a bench in the workshop and decided to use it. Bit of a laugh, it said, 'Do not stir' - as it was supposedly a jelly type. When I opened it I found a couple of inches of pigment in the bottom and on top of that was several inches of brown fluid. Stirring away for a good few minutes yielded an ok white paint, but I wondered if it would still be any good.

That was yesterday; today the first coat has dried fine, and since it's only a workbench I'm painting I don't know if I cba doing a second coat.

The tin is twelve years old, if it's of any interest.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Gel paints are fine stirred. If you want it to regel first, just let it sit again

NT

Reply to
NT

Gel paints are fine stirred. If you want it to regel first, just let it sit again

NT

I was astonished last summer, by how much white spirit I could add to get rid of the gel in some black gloss: even when seemingly very runny, it would still gel up again on standing.

And, on old tins: I've found that apart from getting the skin off without getting bits in the paint, the problem tends to be the metal rusting into the paint.

Spamlet