Paging a real plumber

NO: hot water is still considered potable and lead is prohibited under the water regs.

Reply to
YAPH

In the UK "real" plumbers and heating engineers use materials in compliance with our national regulations: lead-free soft solder for potable water installations and either lead-free or lead-bearing soft solder for non-potable such as gas and heating system primary water circuits.

Reply to
YAPH

As I understand, and please correct me if I am wrong, it is OK to use water heated in a combi or similar for cooking or drinking. If so, that would seem to require that type of HW to be done without leaded solder.

Reply to
polygonum

But that's only for new installations. I'm sure there is water supplied through pure lead pipes still in some places and certainly the ones in this house use 1970's plumbing fittings.

Reply to
charles

Quite right - it's essentially a tin-copper alloy.

BS EN ISO 9453:2006 Alloy 401:

Impurities, max. %:

Pb 0.1 Sb 0.1 Bi 0.1 Au 0.1 In 0.1 Ag 0.01 Al 0.001 As 0.03 Cd 0.002 Fe 0.02

Other

Cu 0.5-0.9% Sn remainder

... Has anyone written a Silverlight stream to PDF converter yet...?

Reply to
Andy Wade

The main into this house is lead. Much of the plumbing was too when I bought it. Being a hard water area, it's not a problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is no lead in pencils shit-fer-brains.

Reply to
harryagain

I'm still around having been brought up in a soft water area with leaded pipe. (as you were, I thought)

Reply to
charles

Do you know if it was soft water which was "plumbosolvent"? And behaviour matters too. Were you brought up to ran the tap every morning to get rid of the "stagnant" water from the pipes? I was, even though we mostly lived in places where the cross-sectional area of chalk in the pipes probably exceeded the area of the water :)

Reply to
Robin

Yes that new interface sucks big time. Its easy enough to grab the meta file that is downloaded... just needs a way of rendering it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thought so, based on the Johnson Matthey specs

I keep meaning to have a crack at it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

You should use a threaded joint designed to be disassembled for that job.

Reply to
dennis

Not much use once installed in a run of pipe work and you can't rotate the bit you need to disassemble. Also not so easy to thread standard copper pipe!

Reply to
John Rumm

If it's just been heated by the combi it's fluid category 2 which is fluid category 1 - wholesome water - whose aesthetic quality is impaired owing to a change in its temperature!

YAPH

Tap connectors are threaded joints designed to be disassembled and reassembled. You don't have to thread the pipe.

Reply to
dennis

No, soft soldered joints almost exclusively. Soft solder is adequate for all the domestic plumbing and heating applications.

Joints are brazed in refrigeration systems and on medical gas systems. I don't think silver solder is used, I'd thought it was usually a copper/phosphorus brazing rod, so no flux required. I can't recall ever seeing silver solder used on construction sites, I think it has been displaced by better & cheaper brazing alloys in recent decades.

In France the joints are brazed using the same copper/phosphorus alloys. You get much more heat distortion of the joints. However, since they don't use acid self-cleaning fluxes, there are much fewer issues with (galvanic) corrosion of systems with copper tubes & steel panel radiators. Power flushing is virtually unknown in France.

Reply to
Onetap

[...]

I'm fairly sure (not tried it) that if you subjected the joints to pressure or tension tests, the copper tube would fail before a soft soldered joint.

The only joints I've seen fail were mostly due to crap soldering and erosion of an elbow.

Reply to
Onetap

Oh yes, just remembered. Pegler Yorkshire do gun-metal solder fittings which are joined with a silver solder alloy. I've only seen them used on the condensate return on steam systems in hospitals and process equipment. Steam systems are rare now due to insurance and inspection costs.

Some of my posts haven't appeared, so this may make more sense if the previous post shows up.

Reply to
Onetap

I've seen a soldered joint pop out when a pipe froze. Without damage elsewhere. The joint appeared perfectly tinned.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)