Painting rough render

Time to paint our recently-rendered external walls. Trouble is the render is pretty rough and we are having difficulty getting the first coat to cover, even with those raggy rollers. You have to finish off by pushing a brush into the little recesses and it takes ages.

I can't make up my mind whether to buy one of the cheap sprayers or just persevere with the tedium of roller and brush. Suggestions welcome.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

Time to paint our recently-rendered external walls. Trouble is the

Persevere with the brush. Masking for spraying also takes a lot of time.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Have you tried one of the small 4" rollers? I find you can get much more force on the smaller area, and get the paint into the surface better.

Reply to
John Rumm

First coat on fresh render, what paint are you using? When I did this place on partially bare render and very firm old paint I followed the paints instructions for fresh/bare and diluted the first coat with about 5% (10%?) water (Dulux Trade WeatherShield Smooth Masonary Paint). That makes a heck of a difference in how well it gets into the cracks and pores.

Didn't really have much trouble with getting near 100% coverage with a fairly long haired roller.

Well if you want to paint, your garden , your neighbours garden, your car and teh streets cars feel free to spray. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And harry's solar panels.....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In your (wet) dreams!

Reply to
PeterC

Standard Sandtex water based masonry paint diluted 10:1.

Our new render is pretty rough.

We don't have any neighbours, but I take your point. The other drawback with sprayers seems to be that they clog up easily unless you are very careful washing them after use. Perhaps the roller isn't so bad after all.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

+1
Reply to
stuart noble

Phil L posted

First time I've ever heard the term 'tyrolean'.

The render is what I have always called rough-cast.

Thanks for this and especially for your sheepskin roller suggestion .

Reply to
Big Les Wade

Usually a very rough cast finish - often pre-pigmented, that is spattered on by a rotating brush in a tyrolean machine that kind of "flicks" the finish at the wall.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yep, that sounds like ours, except no pigment.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

I had that - its only left on the garage - and actually just go wet with a flappy roller.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Big Les Wade writes

Going off at a slight tangent, part of our external walls are covered in crushed shells - sea shells, not egg shells! I think it is a Scottish thing, and I'm sure there is a special name for it, but cannot remember.

Any thoughts on what it is called, and how best to apply paint? The same sheepskin roller?

Thanks,

Reply to
News

News posted

Yes, I've seen that, in a place called Seahouses in Northumberland.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

very waterproof, are seashells.

seashell cladding seems to be the term....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher