Paint for external rendered wall

I would like to paint the rendered wall on my house. It the type with small white stones/chippings stuck to mortar (not sure about the correct terminology here!). The exposed west wall is battered by rain which knocks the chippings off. I've read that any paint used should allow the wall to breath, so what kind of masonary paint should I use?

Reply to
bachgennewydd

If by kind of masonry paint you mean which brand, Sandtex and Weathershield dominate the market. You will probably have to prepare the surface first by applying a coat of stabilising solution. The preparation instructions will be on the container of masonry paint. The masonry paint will probably have a promise of how long it will last, but take that with a bucket of salt. Once you start painting masonry you have to repeat the process periodically as the paint becomes weathered and worn.

Reply to
DIY

Thanks DIY and harry for your advice. My house is 46 years old but the original rendering was replaced 15 years ago and I'm disappointed at how many stones have been removed by the rain!

Reply to
bachgennewydd

I think you are referring to pebble dash.

Reply to
Tinkerer