Paging a real plumber

This is Australia, Dave. Freezing only occurs if you fall into the supermarket chilled cabinet.

Reply to
Andrew

It has nothing to do with central heating it is just common practice I do not know why engineers specify silver soldering (brazing) in all new construction, if I ever come across one I will ask him.

Reply to
F Murtz

Depends where,we go from well below freezing to over 50% Centigrade

Reply to
F Murtz

Damn! If he only weighed ten pounds, it's no wonder he's your late cousin.

Reply to
Richard

Well yes, I suspect most DIYers here would prefer soldered copper to push-fit plastic and if this was au.d-i-y we might be the ones seen as being out of line by not using "silver" solder.

It's interesting to know what other countries do, but if you claim it's better and we're "old hat" then some evidence would be nice ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

The problem in the UK arises when lead is leached into the water by acid water. First of all they got rid of lead pipes and now even the lead solder in copper pipe systems.

Lead apparently causes brain damage, even in very small amounts. Must have a few here got a dose of it.

Reply to
harryagain

You do insist on feeding us the lines, don't you?

Reply to
John Williamson

I never heard of a properly done soft soldered joint coming apart. The pipe would fracture first. Ergo hard soldering is over the top, a waste of resource.

Large copper pipes in the UK are sometimes brazed.

Reply to
harryagain

No chance.

Reply to
harryagain

Well you claimed plumbers used 'silver solder' but they actually universally use 'soft solder'

So it's your choice. You are either wrong that they use 'silver solder' or you are wrong that silver solder is soft solder.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A solar thermal system (if it has no coolant) can get hot enough to melt soft/leadbased solder. That's the reason for it. Especially the ones with evacuated adsorbers (the glass tubes).

Reply to
harryagain

"May"? Not something I have ever seen.

I have seen split pipes and compression joint failures ones where a pipe has been "pushed" out by expansion of ice. But no popped solder joints.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Indeed. Split pipes here, never popped joints.

brazing is where you need mechanical support for a joint under flexing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But the thread is about SILVER solder and I stuck to the topic also referring to silver soldering but this is outlawed by MCS for installers to use it. Pay attention Harry FFS

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I've seem one popped out when it froze. An easier fix than a split pipe.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wrong again, Harry. I've seen it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 18/07/2014 16:38, harryagain wrote: ...

The rated burst pressure for a 15mm soldered fitting is 200psi - less than a quarter of the burst pressure of thin wall half hard copper tube.

The main drawback is that it anneals the tube.

Reply to
Nightjar

Well such is usenet ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Since we also sometimes refer to hard soldering or brazing as silver soldering - that would seem acceptable.

No they don't - as demonstrated by this thread.

FFS, get a clue and stop being an arse.

Reply to
John Rumm

Silverflow 302?