oven cleaning

I in the process of trying and failing miserably to clean my oven which hasn;t been done in many years shame on me.

I basically have tried a foam spray you spray and leave for 3/4 minutes and wipe away while it does get some off its not spotless.

Also tried it on the glass which you cannot see through. Its seriously baked on. I've tried the foam and scrubbing with a washing up pad/ponge but won't budge.

Although I did manage to clean the racks well :)

Any ideas on how to do it properly ?

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

Oven pride, leave it on there for several hours, if not overnight.

Reply to
Toby

Did you read the instructions on the foam spray?

Unless it's exceptionally vicious stuff I don't think 3-4 minutes will cut it. The spray I use[*] says to leave it for 30-120 minutes.

[*] "The spray I use" gives the misleading impression that I'm in the habit of using it. I should have said "the spray I have". :-)
Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Wipe the interior with caustic soda solution. Put a very shallow tray of water in the bottom and heat the oven until its dry.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

A good oven cleaner usually calls for at least 20 mins. The better they are the more they smell. Poundshops often sell stuff that is often not worth having.

Have you removed the door to make it all easier to access?

Reply to
John

Plenty of firms will come and do it for you, using a non-caustic method. This lot look promising

Reply to
stuart noble

I can't believe no-one's said 'angle grinder' yet. Honestly, what IS this place coming to?!

Reply to
Lino expert

Angle Grinder is total over-kill for a job like this. We don't just say 'Angle Grinder' as a joke, you know!

This is really a job for a 2Kg SDS machine with a wide chisel, run in rotary-stop mode. Takes anything off anything.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

This stuff is brilliant for getting the racks clean - particularly if you leave them in the caustic overnight.

Nick L

A little expensive for a plastic bag and what is probably a 10% solution of caustic soda. I think commercial cleaning firms have moved on to ethanolamine products, but these are not available to the public AFAIK

Reply to
stuart noble

Germinator - or Octi Kleen?

Reply to
John

The Apprentice? Dunno, don't watch "How to Become a Barrow Boy"

Reply to
stuart noble

Great camera work on the programme.

Reply to