Otoman bed hinges

Does anyone know who makes/sells the hinges used in ottoman storage beds? Google doesn't! Here's two examples so that you can see what I'm after.

Capitol

Well if it's what you want...

All I can say is that matresses are fing heavy so lifting in the first place will be "fun", are thes hinges spring balanced (some spring do you want to sleep on it?). I'm not sure I'd want to footle about underneath an unproped matress spring balanced or not.

With the full length end lift (1st link) the bed base will also have to be either positioned away from the wall or move as the end is lifted to allow space for the thickness of the mattress and bedding to hinge into. I also suspect after any lifting you'll have to pretty much remake the bed.

What is wrong with drawers?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Good application for some Gas Struts from old car tailgates.

Reply to
John

Dave Liquorice wrote: etc.

Ottoman beds use a sprung counterpoised hinge. They have been in use for centuries. They are a special case of a 4 bar linkage I believe.

The mattress weight is not greatly relevant due to the springing, cf: garage doors. The 4 bar linkage moves the outer edge of the mattress inwards as it operates, so no movement of the bed is necessary. John Lewis have an example at Brent Cross is you are ever that way.

Drawers make use of perhaps 20% of the available space and are difficult to access in a small room.

Having had this type of storage for 20 years, I wouldn't change now. It is also very easy (& cheap) to motorise the bed so that even a child can operate it. (Not always a good thing!!)

I want to build a new one as the examples I have seen have very poor construction for a very high price, hence the quest for who makes the sprung hinges.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

I feel a rhyme coming on.......

A bear, however hard he tries, Grows tubby without exercise. Our Teddy Bear is short and fat, Which is not to be wondered at; He gets what exercise he can By falling off the ottoman, But generally seems to lack The energy to clamber back.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Try

They do all manner of hinges. Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Thanks Al,

I'd already idly looked at the Woodfit catalogue without success. I find that Woodfit are generally more use for expensive exotic projects, where their component costs can be accepted. Their foldaway bed is about the same cost for a kit as the maker charges for a better designed and assembled product!

I fear I'm going to have to build the hinges myself, well I suppose it is a diy group!!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol