Ottoman hinges *without* gas struts ?

Went to open our ottoman bed this morning, and discovered one of the pressed studs the gas strut connects to had sheared off.

A cursory google suggests (naturally :( ) that it's easy to get the whole shebang with gas struts, but since my gas struts are OK (for now) I wondered if anyone knew of a source for just the hinge - ideally one side only.

I'm assuming (!) that the fact there appear to be a lot of people selling them with no reference to make/model is a hopeful sign there's some sort of standard in play ? TIA

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Re-fit the broken off stud. The hinges are not standard there are several makes and will have a different action.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I was afraid of that. The problem is the stud is still embedded in the arm ... I guess it's a bit of work with a drill.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

If they are like car ones, the housing on the strut is generally plastic, and the ball part can be popped out. Assuming there is something to get a grip on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

and a stud extractor...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So, following advice here, removed the hinge mechanism, and sawed off the stud from one side. Then the other. And when it still didn't come out, had to drill it :)

Anyway, have managed to cobble it together with a 6mm bolt (biggest I could find) and a lash up of nuts to lock together to make a space on the bolt for the strut to fit on. Bit loose, but it'll do for a few weeks.

Long term fix is to find the suitable bolt with a thickened spacer for the strut to work on. Although the *proper* design should have used a bearing sleeve to reduce friction ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk