[OT] Wordperfect and other older progs

I use Office 2003, still.

"Can I get the page number of *another* page displayed on a page?" Insert a bookmark, then can cross-reference from elsewhere to the page number of that bookmark.

So should work in 2008, even if that's a mac version.

Reply to
GB

You apply a new format style to the changed text - the style might look exactly the same as the ordinary text. Then, you can make a table of contents of just that style.

It's not something I've ever had to do, but I'm pretty sure it will work very easily.

Reply to
GB

Indeed - WP assumed you were a big boy, while Word wants to play Mummy!

Its partly down to completely different internal architectures - WP used embedded controls in much the same way as XML uses tags - notionally they come in pairs and denote a "block", but you could create them individually and it could cope with them not being properly nested. Word on the other hand does not seem to have individual tags as such, but only attributes that can be applied to a block - so even if you give it a "reveal codes" type capability, its never going to work in the same way.

Reply to
John Rumm

What does it look like in the XML now? (.docx is zipped XML).

Reply to
Clive George

Good question - I have not looked... lets see:

Well for a test doc I just created with the content of:

"Test Document *bold* _underline_ normal again"

You get XML with a block created for each section - the "Test Document" in the first, then a separate "bold" one, then the "underline" and lastly the "normal again", with appropriate tags specified for the whole section:

Test Document bold underline normal again

If I now edit the doc and place a italic section that spans some of the "bold" and the "underline" bits you get:

Test Document bo ld unde r line normal again

So basically it has maintained the proper XML nesting of the sections and created extra blocks to prevent there being any skewed or overlapped tags.

So quite different from the WP way which would have no qualms about doing:

"Test Document [B]b[I]old[b] [U]unde[i]rline[u] normal again"

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, kind of... you might get better results with an index. You don't really get enough control over the layout though. Ideally you want something quite compact like:

Change Request Affected Pages SCR0001 1,6,7,20,22,24,69,203 SCR0122 6,66,70,71,72,74

etc where you may have several hundred change requests on a new version of a doc, ans some of those may affect many tens or even hundreds of pages. You may also have (say) the same request affecting three separate parts of what turn out to be the same page, and you only want the page listed once against the SCR.

There are probably better places to start than with a Word doc anyway - especially if you need to do traceability matrices[1] between hierarchies of documents.

[1] e.g. a software design doc may have a matrix that lists every numbered requirement that features in the software requirements spec, and directs the reader to all the sections of the design that implement each requirement, then a second matrix that lists every section of deign and identifies which requirement is is derived from. A right royal PITA to maintain manually - especially if there are lots of layers of docs with relationships flowing up and down.
Reply to
John Rumm

IIRC FrameMaker was good for this - I've not looked at it since the late 80s and then to no great depth.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Does it even still exist?

Reply to
Huge

You're right. An index would work better.

But the doc is only part of it. What about the software itself? Why can't the doc and the software be maintained on the same system?

Reply to
GB

If you use a Tex / roff / Docbook based system i.e. plain text with markup then you can, and run the text through a processor to produce PDF, HTML, etc.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I had an update notification today about FM 2015. Fuck knows why.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In theory they can, although it rarely seems to happen in reality (quite often because the kind of projects that require documentation that formal and rigorous tend to be military applications, where the docs will be created some time before the code - and they normally want the code written in some geriatric development environment that predates IDEs, and possibly even interactive terminals!) ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

[Answers own question]

It appears to be an Adobe product now. Is it still written in LISP?

Reply to
Huge

Ah, apologies, yes. I should have mentioned from whom it came.

Reply to
Tim Streater