Older conservatory

We are doing loads of thinking this morning about some of our problems!!

We bought an older house that has a conservatory. It is a all uPCV affair that sits on a concrete base. Ever since we bought the house we have had problems with damp and mildew. we had a leaky roof repaired and vents put in the windows. There is also heating in there.

We still have damp problems and mildew is still growing. Is it possible that damp is just coming up through the concrete? If so is there any way of sealing the floor to improve things? Also is there a way of ensuring there is a good seal between the floor and the uPVC that is sitting on top of it? We can't afford to replace it but it would be good if we could get it into some usable form.

TIA

Angela

Reply to
Angela

Adequate ventilation is the answer.

Peter Crosland snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Mildew seems to indicate a condensation problem.

If the conservatory has had a prolonged leaking roof or condensation dampness before you bought it, then the floor may be damp from that and will take a good while to dry out.

You could try either leaving the heating on 24/7 and vents open for a while to dry the area. Or a hire a dehumidifier for a week and keep the conservatory vents closed.

You can not discount the possibility of a failed or non-existent dpc or membrane to the floor, but this would tend to show as damp area around the edges, more so after rain, and some brown staining. In addition, in older frames there may be a cold bridge from the frame and cill which leads to localised condensation.

If you notice lots of condensation on the glass or frame though, then you need to address this issue. You may be keeping it too warm on cold days, or moist air from your house is moving into the conservatory. Also clean up any condensation as soon as it appears but at least twice a day. Kill any mould with a suitable fungicide - 'Halophen' is a good trade product, or it will just keep coming back.

dg

Reply to
dg