OT: Windows 8.1

I think I know what you mean.

I run our home network and home server with local logins (my kids don't even have email addresses yet!) When I first set it up, I Googled and found something that told me to run the App store manually and log in using the Microsoft account thing. Once I'd done that I've never had to log in to the App store again and it remains accessible, so local log ins and full access to the store works fine.

I wish I could remember the detail, but it was some time ago.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

If I have understood correctly, I believe that you can set the name that appears to anything you want - it simply defaults to the user name.

Reply to
polygonum

I am getting there, and everything appears to have changed after I set up a second user with the same username and other parameters as used on my local network.

It may have been coincidence, but after this the Microsoft Account started to display the name set in the account as the display name rather than the email address. The only option seemed to be to set the display name to christian and surname (ie not anything you want), but it accepted x and x. After setting this, I could find no way of setting it back to blank, blank. At this stage I'm not ploughing into the registry.

So that is problem 1 sort of out of the way. I now found that I could indeed log in with a local account and then download and install the app "One Note" by associating the individual app with the MS account parameters (twice because it has to access the skydrive). Why I couldn't make it do this yesterday, I don't know.

I've also tried Classic Shell, but think I'll remove it again as I think I'm now familiar enough with the 8.1 Start mechanisms.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions. I do think Windows

8.1 needs a lot more work, particularly with the relationship between the two screens, and the relationship between local and cloud logins.
Reply to
Bill

One thing I noted with the 8.1 upgrade was that it forced the use of a MS account, whereas installing 8 in the first place just tried to steer you that way - but you could opt for just a local account. Once the upgrade is installed however, you can create and use local accounts.

I am content to forgo the app store, all the "modern" apps, and the rest of the non desktop stuff...

Reply to
John Rumm

I got three copies of Win8 Pro when it came out coz they were cheap! While on balance Win7 is a better match for my needs, with a bit of tweaking I can live with 8, and it was a saving of some £200 over buying win 7 for my machines. (if buying now I would opt for 7 though)

Reply to
John Rumm

Use the fingerprint scanner?

Drivers on Lenovo's site work well on my X60t, should be OK on the X200T

Reply to
Adrian C