OT: Wash clothes in a dishwasher?

Dishwashers cannot even wash dishes. let alone clothes.

Surely you can find a local pole- or chinkomatic? What are illegal immigrans for? ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

dishwasher -

Learnt this when as a 3rd party service provider, we had taken over the support of thousands of unix terminals and the manufacturer wouldn't sell us spares. I interviewed three people who worked for the manufacturer and wanted to be TUPED into our organisation. When the first mentioned the dish washer I thought he was having a joke, but when all three did I thought 'either it's a conspiracy or it's true' so I took a batch of faulty keyboards home and put them through our dishwasher, and out of 6 faulty ones 5 worked fine after a good wash ! I didn't leave them in for the dry part of the cycle but shook them out carefully and put them in the airing cupboard over night. After that we had a regular session in the executive dish washer at head office! As for rinse aid, I suppose it must have had it as it automatically doses iirc.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

You must have used a bad one. My dishwasher gets things a lot cleaner than I do.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That says more about our washing up skills than about dishwashers..;-)

Atheist

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

PCBs are often washed as part of the assembly process to remove flux residues. You just need to be careful of any electromechanical components that are not sealed. In the factory these would be hand fitted after washing the board.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Good point m8.

Having thought about alternative uses for dishwashers, I suppose you could fit one in your workshop and use it as a parts washer.

Get a big drum of diluted detergent and connect a hose to the water inlet of the dishwasher, have the waste pipe of the dishwasher returning water to the drum. Put your oily / dirty components in the dishwasher and let it have it.

What do you think?

ETV

Reply to
Eric The Viking

Hows about this alternative then?

John

About the only thing the bastard machines are good for IMHO.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not sure what a Glasgow motoray has to do with anything?

Done by Mark Evans in his MGB restoration. He took his cylinder heads home and sneaked them into the dishwasher when his other half was in bed / out.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Whats a "Motoray"?

ETV

Reply to
Eric The Viking

Excellent idea! Now will the dishwasher still run OK if I use kerosene instead of water? I suppose using petrol is pushing my luck :)

Reply to
Nick

Might be safer with Jizer ;-)

ETV

Reply to
Eric The Viking

The message from "Eric The Viking" contains these words:

Bloody great flat fish[1] with an outboard.

[1] Not a flatfish, that'd be a motorskate.
Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" contains these words:

I remember a friend's mum being a trifle peeved when she discovered the casings of an outboard in her dishwasher. Trouble is, it really was a good way to get them clean.

I've often wondered about finding an old dishwasher and running it full of paraffin for cleaning bits. I suspect some of the seals wouldn't work to well - and forgetting to disconnect the heater might liven things up a bit, too.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Nick contains these words:

Hah! Cleaning-rays!

Reply to
Guy King

It is the invisible beam emitted by motorway cash cameras.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Maybe you could drive down it on a Motorpike and sidecarp ;-)

ETV

Reply to
Eric The Viking