Emulsion on MDF

Just trying to convince myself nothing can go wrong...

4 x 12mm MDF panels each about 1m x 2m to be rollered with emulsion. Thinking about a light coat to seal followed by two more to get even colour depth.

Any reason why not?

Reply to
TonyK

Assuming they are indoors, it's fine.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

And not in a bathroom, or where they may get wet.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I don't see a problem, assuming the exposed side is sealed.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Not as far as I can see, I've used emulsion on MDF loads of times with good results.

...... and the TV makeover shows do it all the times :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Cheers

All done now and worked out fine. I was just a bit concerned about a large volume of water based paint absorbing too quickly into the surface and creating patches of rippled MDF.

Reply to
TonyK

... but they also hold up pelmets with blu-tac (or is that an urban myth), so anything they do is not necessarily a valid way. :o)

Reply to
soup

They also have plaster you can paint 20 mins after you apply it, MDF that doesn't split when you screw into the edge, saw benches without guards that are perfectly safe, jigsaws that cut perfectly straight lines 8' long, routers that you can use one handed etc.

Must be a different space time continium or something.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

None at all. Biggest problem I have had with MDF is that it shrinks...after a while in central heating,..and you end up with cracks where tow sheets but together. Or a sheet buts a wall or ceiling.

Other than that it is a superb finish when painted with emulsion.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Even that is OK provided its not soaked.

It may be advisable on any showing edges to use a couple of coats of acrylic primer to seal the 'grain' sanded after coating each time..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. You see them boxing in open flued boilers and such like. It's a miracle someone hasn't died yet.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle