Rotary Clothes Line spike

I am about to set up a Rotary Clothes Line in the garden of our new build house. Instructions (B&Q jobbie) say that the spike should be set in concrete. Is this necessary - or can I just hammer it into the ground ?? If I do need to - whats the best way to go about it ?? How about: dig a hole about half the height of the spike so that half is showing and half is in the soil (but top is just below grass level to allow mowing when the airer is removed), then fill up around it with post fix to create a little 'stepping stone' with the top of the spike level with the post-fix (but both again just below the grass level) ??

Any advice much appreciated...

Reply to
NC

the last one I put in was just hammered into the soil to about 1/2 below the grass and it out lived the washing line which broke when the kids used it as a roundabout

Reply to
Mr Fixit

Mine sits in a bit of waste pipe. I dag hole, set it in, replaces the "mud" to pack it in.

I suspect it depends upon matching the solutions to the soil conditions, rather than an exact solution.

My parents have a 1 foot cube of concrete with the waste pipe set in the center of one face, they dig this up now and then to move the washing line.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember NC saying something like:

Get a 2' length of 2" pipe and hammer that into the ground. Stick your rotary in that.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon