Painting a door help

Hi,

I have some old brown wood smooth as a babies bum type doors, quite old but in good condition. I wanted to gloss them white.

Just wanted to know if I just prime, undercoat and gloss ..... or do I need to rub the doors down to roughen them up or anything ?

Reply to
Stephen

If indoors I'd forget the primer. I'd also lcean them first.

NT

Reply to
NT

If they've not been treated with anything and the house has central heating, the undercoat just soaks in like ink on blotting paper - I did my 10 year old doors a few weeks ago and gave each of them 2 coats of undercoat, applied by roller of course and then glossed - they've come out quite good

Reply to
Phil L

forgot to add that the 1st coat was a mess, there's no way gloss would have covered it

Reply to
Phil L

If you fancy trying something a bit different, how about turning them into panel doors? To do this you'll need some 1/4" ply or MDF for the strips which go around the outside of the door to form the panels, and some decorative mouldings to edge the inner recesses, where the "panels" are. Paint the outside frames a lighter colour and the inner parts (the surface of the existing doors) a darker colour to give an illusion of depth. Simple ones like this:

't be beyond a weekend DIY-er.

Reply to
pete

I'm old enough to remember Barry Bucknell showing the TV audience how to cover 'old-fashioned' panel doors with hardboard to make them flush.

I can just see the post in forty years time: 'I've got these lovely old flush hardwood doors that some **** has covered in bits of MDF and layers of undercoat and gloss paint. How can I get them back to their original condition?'

Roger.

Reply to
Roger

I remember Barry Bucknell showing how to fit an immoboliser switch on his own Ford Consul. It was just a hidden switch that broke the low tension lead. He demonstrated how it worked and, in the process, gave away that the switch was inside the wing just behind the front wheel. Two days later all the papers carried the story that his car had been stolen.

Reply to
Tinkerer

! :->

At least Bucknell's work could be undone fairly easily (hint: if you must, then use panel pins, not glue or screws). One of the best improvements we made to our house I grew up in was whipping of the hardboard, moving the door stops and a fresh coat of paint and bingo - "new" interesting doors...

Reply to
Tim Watts

If he'd been smart he would have (and omitted to say) that the switch body was wired up to a cattle fence generator and rubber gloves were advisable :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Do the knots need knotting fluid first, or is that only with new wood?

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Are they tacky? If not, presumably knot.

But, on the other hand, does knotting actually do anything other than cost a fortune, and what is it made of anyway?

spamlet

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Tinkerer" saying something like:

No matter. Old Barry wouldn't have got very far in the car anyway as the switch corroded and fell apart.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon